This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5311 / 51°31'51"N
Longitude: -0.1208 / 0°7'14"W
OS Eastings: 530446
OS Northings: 183026
OS Grid: TQ304830
Mapcode National: GBR K5.1B
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.VSH4
Entry Name: 272 to 276, Pentonville Road and Scottish Stores Public House 2 to 4, Caledonian Road
Listing Date: 30 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195703
English Heritage Legacy ID: 369199
Location: Islington, London, N1
Electoral Ward/Division: Caledonian
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Andrew Barnsbury
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/07/2017
PENTONVILLE ROAD (North side)
Nos. 272-276 (Even)
Includes: Nos. 2-4 Scottish Stores Public House, CALEDONIAN ROAD.
Offices, and public house, with offices and flats above. 1900-01. By Wylson and Long, probably for James Kirk. Brown glazed brick and buff terracotta, roof obscured by parapet.
Five storeys, four windows to Pentonville Road, eleven to Caledonian Road, the corner of the building curved in plan. The ground floor of Nos. 272-276 Pentonville Road is of c.1930; that of Nos. 2-4 Caledonian Road is almost certainly the original pub frontage of 1901: three bays flanked by six-sided columns of pink granite with banded rustication, capitals in the manner of a pulvinated frieze, and a triangular fin on the front face running down through the top three blocks on the columns. Glazed wooden screens between piers with pilasters and cornice, and doors at either end and in the middle. The doors have segmental-arched heads, and panelling details all over this front are variations on the segmental arch. Squat corbelled colonnettes from dado rail to principal windows, etched glass in central windows and some others; top lights have a shallow double-curved profile echoed in the interior fittings; fascia obscured. Flat-arched windows to upper floors; first-floor windows in groups of four, one group to Pentonville Road, two to Caledonian Road, with terracotta architraves, keystones and shallow, round-arched mouldings above; three remaining windows to Caledonian Road have keystones only. Sill-band to second-floor windows with scrolled terracotta ornament, the windows arranged as for the first floor but with pointed-arched mouldings with straight sides. Third floor entirely faced with terracotta; pairs of windows flanked by Corinthian pilasters rising from sill-band and corbels with grotesque heads; the windows have keystones with grotesque heads; modillion cornice. Attic storey to Nos. 272-276 consisting of two gables to each street front, parapet and corner tower, the whole of glazed brick with terracotta detailing in the form of pilasters and entablature to windows, scrolled consoles, coping to parapet and gables, and ribs and mouldings of corner tower; metal cresting to tower.
INTERIOR: of Nos. 2-4 Caledonian Road: the pub interior is a single space divided by glazed wooden screens with fielded panelling up to about seven feet, and cornice mouldings to all original partitioned spaces. Screen incorporating the bar-back with an open arcade of swelling Corinthian colonnettes, supporting shallow double-curved arches; screen running back from street front has etched glass panels; enclosed staircase at north-east corner with etched glass panels and newel post with Jacobean detailing and an octagonal finial of Arts and Crafts character. Over the bar-back in the south bar, a cartouche inscribed 'THE SCOTTISH STORES 1901'. On the walls, a set of coloured lithographs by Cecil Aldin of 1900, set into frames in the panelling.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).
Listing NGR: TQ3044683026
Other nearby listed buildings