History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

148-154, St John Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Bunhill, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5236 / 51°31'24"N

Longitude: -0.1023 / 0°6'8"W

OS Eastings: 531750

OS Northings: 182224

OS Grid: TQ317822

Mapcode National: GBR P8.50

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.5YRX

Entry Name: 148-154, St John Street

Listing Date: 2 October 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195732

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369289

Location: Islington, London, EC1V

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Bunhill

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St James Clerkenwell

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Finsbury

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3182SE ST JOHN STREET
635-1/74/793 (East side)
02/10/90 Nos.148-154 (Even)

GV II

Brewery building. 1893 by Bradford and Sons. Sandstone, brick
and terracotta, roof obscured by parapet. Three and four
storeys, four-window range. Ground floor divided into four
bays by sandstone Doric antae with C20 shop fronts between;
cornice and sill band to first-floor windows apparently of
reconstituted stone. The windows of the first and second
floors are grouped in recessed panels under a shallow
segmental arch, echoing the arrangement of The Canon Brewery
Buildings (q.v.); first-floor windows of a broad, flat-arched
industrial type divided by stone panelled mullions and having
early C20 metal glazing; those of second floor flat-arched
with mullions of sandstone and brick and similar glazing;
panels of decorative terracotta between the first and second
floors; the first floor lintels and second-floor sills are of
stone, continued as bands in the brickwork; stone imposts to
segmental arches at second-floor level; cornice of moulded
brick; coped parapet; small third-floor extension under a
pitched roof to northern end.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).


Listing NGR: TQ3175682226

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.