History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in St Peter's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5351 / 51°32'6"N

Longitude: -0.0998 / 0°5'59"W

OS Eastings: 531890

OS Northings: 183509

OS Grid: TQ318835

Mapcode National: GBR P3.RW

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.7P22

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 20 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195748

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369328

Location: Islington, London, N1

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St James Prebend Street

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Islington

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3183NE ST PETER'S STREET
635-1/59/826 (South West side)
20/09/54 Church of St Peter

II

Anglican church, now flats. 1834-35. By Sir Charles Barry,
with sanctuary, west front, and tower and spire added by
Roumieu and Gough in 1842-4. White Suffolk brick with stone
dressings and roof of slate. Short sanctuary, nave, transepts,
north and south aisles, north-west tower and spire. Gabled
west end with moulded and gabled portal and doors decorated
with blank tracery, the portal flanked by a small three-bay
arcade and buttresses; above, an open stepped arcade of three
lights with stepped lancets behind. To the south, two small
towers, square in plan, ending in pinnacles; the tower proper
has a gabled entrance to the north side, and the spire is
square in plan but chamfered with lucarnes to the cardinal
directions; at the corners of the tower, four piers ending in
pinnacles linked to the spire by flying buttresses. Lancet
windows to the nave between gabled buttresses, and parapet.
Transepts one bay deep with triple stepped lancets to the
principal front with gable, and cornice of matching profile.
The easternmost bay of the chancel is short, and under a lower
gabled roof, with east window of triple stepped lancets. All
internal features removed and new floors inserted during
conversion to flats.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).


Listing NGR: TQ3189083509

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.