This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0097 / 53°0'34"N
Longitude: -2.202 / 2°12'7"W
OS Eastings: 386545
OS Northings: 345835
OS Grid: SJ865458
Mapcode National: GBR MDH.XM
Mapcode Global: WHBCT.4MQ2
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 19 April 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195800
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384418
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, ST4
County: City of Stoke-on-Trent
Electoral Ward/Division: Hartshill and Basford
Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Hartshill
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
STOKE ON TRENT
SJ8645SE HARTSHILL ROAD, Hartshill
613-1/9/66 (North side)
19/04/72 Church of the Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1842. By George Gilbert Scott and Moffatt.
Stone with plain tiled roof with scalloped bands.
Decorated style, with west tower and spire, nave with 2 aisles
and clerestory, chancel.
4-stage west tower with clasping buttresses terminating in
pinnacles. West door with paired shafts to triple chamfered
arch. 3-light window over, then an oculus. Paired bell chamber
lights. Trefoiled frieze below parapet. Spire with 2 tiers of
lucarnes. South porch with shafts to moulded arch repeated on
Nave of 4 bays divided by gableted buttresses, each with a
2-light traceried window. Corbels support projecting parapet.
Low clerestory above, with quatrefoil windows. Ornate chancel:
shafts with foliate capitals and hood moulds to windows.
INTERIOR: high arcade of 5 bays with clusters shafts carrying
rib vaulted ceiling. Encaustic floor tiles throughout and
tiled dado with high glazed frieze and quatrefoil memorial
tiles inset. Original pews with poppy-head bench ends.
Deep-moulded chancel arch. Wood reredos with interlace in
panelling and riddle posts, installed as war memorial. Painted
panelled ceiling to chancel, and vaulted roof over apse.
Early-medieval-style stained glass to chancel, with small
lozenges containing scenes, and Mannerist-style glass in south
aisle of 1902-4. The church was endowed by Herbert Minton.
(The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Pugh R B:
Staffordshire: Oxford: 1963-).
Listing NGR: SJ8654545835
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings