History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Tunstall, City of Stoke-on-Trent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0625 / 53°3'45"N

Longitude: -2.211 / 2°12'39"W

OS Eastings: 385953

OS Northings: 351719

OS Grid: SJ859517

Mapcode National: GBR 13H.ZSH

Mapcode Global: WHBCM.09D1

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 15 March 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195802

English Heritage Legacy ID: 384423

Location: Stoke-on-Trent, ST6

County: City of Stoke-on-Trent

Electoral Ward/Division: Tunstall

Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Golden Hill St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Longport

Listing Text


STOKE ON TRENT

SJ85SE HIGH STREET, Tunstall
613-1/2/162 (East side)
Christ Church

II

Parish Church, a Commissioners Church of 1831-2. By Francis
Bedford, with extensions by AR Wood. Faced with coursed and
squared rubble, with Welsh slate roofs. West tower with
flanking aisles to nave, aisle chapels and enlarged chancel of
1884. West tower of 3 stages, with west doorway in chamfered
arch with simple hood mould. Lancet light and clock over, and
paired bell chamber lights. Angle buttresses form cusped
finials to parapet. Blind west windows to aisles, which are
divided into bays by thin pilaster buttresses with gablets,
each bay containing paired lancet windows. South door with
moulded arch beneath angled hood mould suggesting vestigial
gable. South aisle chapel, and chancel with 5-light Decorated
east window with panelled frieze below and central buttress
with gablet. North vestry. INTERIOR: the church has a single
span Queen strut roof. West gallery, and chancel arch with
marble shafts carried on corbels. Boarded ceiling in chancel,
painted with quatrefoil frieze. Stained glass and fittings
(altar, reredos etc) are early C20.
(The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Pugh R B:
Staffordshire: Oxford: 1963-).


Listing NGR: SJ8595351719

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.