This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9837 / 52°59'1"N
Longitude: -2.1328 / 2°7'57"W
OS Eastings: 391182
OS Northings: 342934
OS Grid: SJ911429
Mapcode National: GBR MWS.VY
Mapcode Global: WHBD1.68NH
Entry Name: Longton Centre
Listing Date: 15 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384429
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, ST3
County: City of Stoke-on-Trent
Electoral Ward/Division: Dresden and Florence
Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Blurton and Dresden
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
STOKE ON TRENT
SJ94SW LIGHTWOOD ROAD, Longton
613-1/7/91 (South West side)
Formerly known as: Sutherland Institute and Library LIGHTWOOD
Sutherland Institute and Library. 1898 by Wood and Hutchings.
Brick enriched with terracotta and plain tiled roof.
3-storeyed, with advanced pedimented outer bays with 3 wood
mullioned and transomed windows on each floor, with brick and
terracotta arched heads on first floor, and long keystones
which pierce the pediment to the attic. In the central
section, paired windows each side of deep moulded terracotta
arched doorway, with "Sutherland Institute and Free Library"
inscribed in the spandrels of the arch. Over the windows, a
bass relief terracotta frieze illustrates scenes in the
manufacture of pottery. Above this, wide windows with central
round-arched lights, and three 6-light oriel bay windows to
attic with terracotta aprons. Moulded wood modillion eaves
cornice, bellcote flanked by axial stacks. Large studio
windows break through the eaves line in the side elevations.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner: Staffordshire).
Listing NGR: SJ9118242934
Other nearby listed buildings