History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Town Hall (Burslem Recreation Centre)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burslem Central, City of Stoke-on-Trent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0457 / 53°2'44"N

Longitude: -2.1979 / 2°11'52"W

OS Eastings: 386832

OS Northings: 349844

OS Grid: SJ868498

Mapcode National: GBR MF2.SQ

Mapcode Global: WHBCM.6PNY

Entry Name: Old Town Hall (Burslem Recreation Centre)

Listing Date: 2 October 1951

Last Amended: 15 March 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195811

English Heritage Legacy ID: 384448

Location: Stoke-on-Trent, ST6

County: City of Stoke-on-Trent

Electoral Ward/Division: Burslem Central

Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Burslem St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Longport

Listing Text


STOKE ON TRENT

SJ8649NE MARKET PLACE, Burslem
613-1/10/14 Old Town Hall (Burslem Recreation
02/10/51 Centre)
(Formerly Listed as:
MARKET PLACE, Burslem
Former Town Hall)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Public Library.
Former town hall. 1854. By GT Robinson of Leamington. Ashlar.
2-storeyed, the main hall of 7 bays with western tower over
open entrance or passage way. Baroque in inspiration. Battered
ground floor of channelled ashlar with heavy moulded plinth
carrying paired Corinthian pilasters to first floor which
support cornice beneath parapet with pronounced overhang and
frieze. Ground floor windows set in coved recesses with
keystones, tall round-arched windows above. West tower has
open ground floor with coved arches on 3 sides and paired
Corinthian columns at outer angles. Volutes to clock tower
terminate in caryatids carrying the blocking course beneath
octagonal turret with ogival roof and angel finial. Eastern
end divided into 3 bays with pilasters to first storey.
Central doorway to ground floor with coved architrave to
panelled door. Upper sash windows have shell motifs as hood.
INTERIOR: double staircase with heavily scrolled iron
balusters, and heavy classical architraves to doorways. Main
chamber at first floor level, with Corinthian pilasters
articulating the walls, coved ceiling with elaborate
wrought-iron ties.


Listing NGR: SJ8683249844

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.