This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0233 / 53°1'23"N
Longitude: -2.1769 / 2°10'36"W
OS Eastings: 388228
OS Northings: 347351
OS Grid: SJ882473
Mapcode National: GBR MLB.9Q
Mapcode Global: WHBCT.J8LL
Entry Name: Bethesda Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 19 April 1972
Last Amended: 15 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195821
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384364
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, ST1
County: City of Stoke-on-Trent
Electoral Ward/Division: Etruria and Hanley
Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Hanley St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
STOKE ON TRENT
SJ8847 ALBION STREET, Hanley
613-1/8/45 (South side)
19/04/72 Bethesda Methodist Chapel
(Formerly Listed as:
ALBION STREET, Hanley
Bethesda Methodist Church)
Methodist chapel. 1819 with additions of 1859 and 1887. Brick
with stuccoed facade, and slate roof.
2-storeyed. Pedimented entrance front to Albion Street, with
rusticated lower storey and full-length portico with heavy
cornice carried on paired fluted Corinthian shafts.
Paired doorways to left and right behind, the inner doors
having entablatures carried on consoles, and the outer
doorways with tall architraves. Central window with
entablature carried on paired consoles. Palladian window over,
with Corinthian shafts beneath central pedimented gable. Outer
windows are sashes with margin lights.
Rear of chapel is Flemish bond brickwork with buff headers. 5
bays and shallow curved apse. Windows with margin lights and
stuccoed heads with expressed keystones (blocked to first
Central section of apsidal end expressed by raised section to
cornice, with panelled decoration.
INTERIOR: Previous description records a continuous raking
gallery with a plaster vaulted soffit, carried on cast-iron
columns. The balustrade is panelled, above a minimal Doric
entablature with widely-spaced paterae. On the street side,
the gallery is dominated by a large organ in a baroque case.
Beneath it, at ground floor level, is a fine octagonal pulpit
reached by two opposed flights of stairs, with cast-iron
balustrades and hardwood handrails. The pulpit stands within a
contemporary communion rail, of similar construction to the
stair balustrades, defining an oval snactuary. Both are by
Robert Scrivener, 1856. Half-glazed timber screens separate
the stairs on the street front from the body of the church.
With its pews and minor fittings largely intact, the interior
stands virtually as it was finished in 1859 save for a
replacement ceiling. The burial crypt below contains a
monument to Rev. William Driver, 1831.
Listing NGR: SJ8822847351
Other nearby listed buildings