History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II Listed Building in Blurton East, City of Stoke-on-Trent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9743 / 52°58'27"N

Longitude: -2.152 / 2°9'7"W

OS Eastings: 389888

OS Northings: 341890

OS Grid: SJ898418

Mapcode National: GBR MRX.P9

Mapcode Global: WHBD0.XHDQ

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 2 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195828

English Heritage Legacy ID: 384379

Location: Stoke-on-Trent, ST3

County: City of Stoke-on-Trent

Electoral Ward/Division: Blurton East

Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Blurton and Dresden

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Longton

Listing Text


STOKE ON TRENT

SJ84SE CHURCH ROAD, Blurton
613-1/6/3 (West side)
02/10/51 Church of St Bartholomew

II

Parish church. Largely of 1626, rebuilding an earlier
structure of c1500, and with some later additions. Coursed and
squared sandstone, with plain tiled roofs. Nave with 2 aisles,
and chancel. Bellcote at western end of nave, added by George
Gilbert Scott in 1846. Timber, with pierced quatrefoil panels
and shingle roof carrying weather cock. South porch possibly
also added by Scott, heavy timbering on stone plinth. Inner
doorway with round-arched simple chamfered lintel. Two 3-light
hollow chamfered mullioned windows to nave, and traces of
earlier windows at higher level, now blocked. Sundial on south
wall dated 1668 with initials T.A. Chancel added in 1750 but
incorporating earlier mullioned window in south wall. Moulded
stone eaves cornice and plinth interupted in SW by former
doorway now blocked. North aisle added in 1867 by Charles
Lynham, brick with stone facings to east, and stone mullioned
windows.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire:
Harmondsworth).


Listing NGR: SJ8988841890

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.