This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0245 / 53°1'28"N
Longitude: -2.1766 / 2°10'35"W
OS Eastings: 388254
OS Northings: 347476
OS Grid: SJ882474
Mapcode National: GBR MLB.DB
Mapcode Global: WHBCT.J7RQ
Entry Name: Odeon Cinema
Listing Date: 30 November 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195837
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384465
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, ST1
County: City of Stoke-on-Trent
Electoral Ward/Division: Etruria and Hanley
Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Hanley St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 8847, 613-1/8/53
STOKE ON TRENT,
Piccadilly (south-east side)
Cinema. Built 1929. By W. E. Trent for Provincial Cinematograph
Theatres Limited. Steel frame clad in brick and faience, roof
Plan has auditorium with circle and theatre fly tower to rear
of entrance foyer and first-floor restaurant facing
Piccadilly. Art Deco style.
Two-storey faience-clad elevation to Piccadilly with masks of
comedy and tragedy and five-light first-floor window with
original glazing above two sets of six double doors with
original etched glazing set in revealed architrave.
Elevations to Pall Mall and Cheapside in Italianate style with
faience rusticated ground floor, "PCT" in cartouches and
original name, "The Regent" in faience signs.
INTERIOR: entrance in Piccadilly leads to large foyer with
coffered ceiling, moulded pilasters to enriched cornice and
original light fittings. Stairs lead via four etched glass doors
to large circle foyer with coved plaster ceiling and
Auditorium in lavish Art Deco style has stalls and circle:
square proscenium arch with moulded plasterwork flanked by
elaborate grilles for former organ. Orchestra pit. Circle
supported to sides on square moulded piers that continue to
ceiling with simple capitals and uplighters. Moulded balcony
front stepped to sides. Central ceiling dome with ribbed and
"v-shaped" mouldings. Coffered ceiling over rear circle with
original light fittings.
Included as a late 1920s cinema belonging to historically
important Provincial Cinematograph Theatre Circuit, who
pioneered the "super cinema" along American lines in Britain.
Listing NGR: SJ8825447476
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings