History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Cliff Vale Pottery, and Calcining Kilns Now Caradon Twyfords Limited

A Grade II Listed Building in Hanley Park and Shelton, City of Stoke-on-Trent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0151 / 53°0'54"N

Longitude: -2.1918 / 2°11'30"W

OS Eastings: 387230

OS Northings: 346439

OS Grid: SJ872464

Mapcode National: GBR MHF.3P

Mapcode Global: WHBCT.9GJX

Entry Name: Former Cliff Vale Pottery, and Calcining Kilns Now Caradon Twyfords Limited

Listing Date: 20 August 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195842

English Heritage Legacy ID: 384477

Location: Stoke-on-Trent, ST4

County: City of Stoke-on-Trent

Electoral Ward/Division: Hanley Park and Shelton

Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Stoke upon Trent and Fenton

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Etruria

Listing Text


STOKE ON TRENT

SJ84NE SHELTON NEW ROAD, Cliff Vale
613-1/4/29 (South East side)
20/08/79 Former Cliff Vale Pottery, and
Calcining Kilns now Caradon Twyfords
Ltd

II

Pottery works and bottle ovens. 1887 with later modifications.
Brick with stone dressings and plain tiled roofs. Frontage
range of 3 storeys and 22 bays (2-2-4-1-4-9). Entrance bay has
stone pilasters and entrance with cast-iron lintel over and 3
stilted arched windows above, and ornamented segmental
pediment bearing date. Flanking this entrance bay are 2 towers
with paired windows with stone aprons in the upper floors, and
stone quoins. The outer range to the right has giant arched
colonnade with windows with cambered brick heads, and moulded
brick eaves cornice. 2 bays to the left in a similar style,
then a gabled range with giant brick arches. 2 calcining kilns
of circular section joined together at base, but with
free-standing caps.


Listing NGR: SJ8723046439

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.