This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0254 / 53°1'31"N
Longitude: -2.1744 / 2°10'27"W
OS Eastings: 388396
OS Northings: 347578
OS Grid: SJ883475
Mapcode National: GBR MLB.V0
Mapcode Global: WHBCT.K7R0
Entry Name: The Tontine Shops
Listing Date: 2 October 1951
Last Amended: 15 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195851
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384502
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, ST1
County: City of Stoke-on-Trent
Electoral Ward/Division: Etruria and Hanley
Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Hanley St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
STOKE ON TRENT
SJ8847 TONTINE STREET, Hanley
613-1/8/177 (South East side)
02/10/51 The Tontine Shops
(Formerly Listed as:
TONTINE STREET, Hanley
Butchers' market, now shopping mall. 1837 remodelled 1989-91.
Ashlar with Welsh slate hipped roof. Square plan, the shops
arranged around a central atrium. Late classical style.
Single storey to front and sides, mainly 2 storeys to rear.
Facade is a fine symmetrical composition with central entrance
and clock tower over, linked to pedimented wings by unfluted
Doric column screens now with glazing between.
Central entrance has chanelled rustication and a round-arched
head. This section breaks forward and above the entablature
supports an octagonal small clock tower with leaded dome. The
entablature continues over the screens and wings which have
paried Doric half columns either side of a moulded stone
doorcase with pediment supported by consoles. Double doors and
overlights with decorative glazing.
Both sides of the mall are plain but with a central entrance
similar to the facade, pilasters at intervals and a continuous
The right side has a single bay of two storeys towards the
rear with paired sashes.
Rear is in two sections, that to right on an angle and has a
central aedicule in recent stonework, framing a doorcase
similar to those on the facade. Either side of the aedicule
are two windows with moulded stone architraves and similar
small windows over, with decorative glazing. The other section
of the rear has large glazed openings to ground floor with
further door and windows to left. First floor has single or
paired sashes and three gables. INTERIOR late C20.
Listing NGR: SJ8839647578
Other nearby listed buildings