This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9866 / 52°59'11"N
Longitude: -2.1311 / 2°7'51"W
OS Eastings: 391295
OS Northings: 343256
OS Grid: SJ912432
Mapcode National: GBR MXR.6X
Mapcode Global: WHBD1.76F8
Entry Name: Former Gladstone and Park Place (Roslyn) Works
Listing Date: 19 April 1972
Last Amended: 15 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195854
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384513
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, ST3
County: City of Stoke-on-Trent
Electoral Ward/Division: Broadway and Longton East
Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Longton St James and St John
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
STOKE ON TRENT
SJ94SW UTTOXETER ROAD, Longton
613-1/7/97 (South West side)
19/04/72 Former Gladstone and Park Place
(Formerly Listed as:
UTTOXETER ROAD, Longton
Former Gladstone Works)
Former Pottery works, now a working museum complex comprising
2 former pot banks. Main complex is former Gladstone works,
the present buildings largely of c1860 and later, but
incorporating elements of earlier structures and a tradition
of use of the site going back to the late C18. Main entrance
block fronts Uttoxeter Road, and was built c1860. 3-storeyed,
10 bays with wide carriage entry to the left with stuccoed
quoins, with 2 round-arched windows and a doorway with
fanlight and stuccoed quoins alongside. Other ground floor
windows inserted, but upper storeys have sash windows with
margin lights, with a continuous sill band and hood moulds
with shield stops. Fixed-light windows with stone and concrete
lintels in the rear elevation, and inserted doorway giving
present entrance to museum.
Long 3-storeyed rear wing. This range housed warehouses,
offices and administration. Adjoining it to the SE is the main
range of the Roslyn Works, separated from the Gladstone works
and built in the later C19. Three-storeyed, 12 bays with
carriage door giving access to rear courtyard and weighbridge,
with tripartite windows over, and fixed-light windows with
stuccoed lintels and sills, moulded to ground floor.
To the rear left, a range running at right-angles contains two
biscuit kilns of c1940, incorporated in the building, with
hovels only at upper level.
Small courtyard with 3-storeyed workshop ranges. The workshop
ranges of the Gladstone works are arranged in the rear
courtyard: the earliest range is c.1840, and forms the western
boundary of the site. Altered ground floor, with 7 large
workshop windows over, and upper doorways. Further workshop
ranges added to north and south later in the C19. East of this
building, a biscuit kiln, with bulbous narrow necked hovel,
first recorded on this site in 1856.
To the rear of the Red House (qv), a decorating (muffle) kiln
with tall stepped flue. To the south of the site, the engine
house and adjoining workshop range were built c1878. The
engine house is now missing its upper storey, and the workshop
range behind it has been extensively rebuilt.
To the east of the site, 2 kilns in wide circular hovels,
probably late C19, but representing the rebuilding of earlier
structures, first recorded on the site in 1815.
They are linked by a further 2-storeyed workshop range
(recently extensively rebuilt), and a further workshop block
running south links with another bottle oven, also probably a
late C19 rebuilding of an earlier structure.
Listing NGR: SJ9129543256
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings