History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

King's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Thetford, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.4145 / 52°24'52"N

Longitude: 0.7476 / 0°44'51"E

OS Eastings: 586960

OS Northings: 283161

OS Grid: TL869831

Mapcode National: GBR RD7.PTC

Mapcode Global: VHKCC.XK2X

Entry Name: King's House

Listing Date: 3 April 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195936

English Heritage Legacy ID: 384743

Location: Thetford, Breckland, Norfolk, IP24

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: Thetford

Built-Up Area: Thetford

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Thetford St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


617-1/5/76 (North side)
03/04/51 King's House


House, said to have had C17 origins and to have been used as
King James I's hunting lodge. Rebuilt 1763, converted to
municipal offices 1950-51. Flint and re-used ashler. Facade
with gault brick skin and red brick dressings. Slate roofs. 2
storeys in 5 bays. Central C20 glazed door in panelled
reveals. Doorcase of reeded and fluted engaged Ionic columns
supporting entablature and pediment. Two 6/6 unhorned sashes
right and left under red brick gauged skewback arches. 5
similar to first floor, except for left 2 sashes, which are
horned replacements. Modillion cornice below parapet with a
central achievement. Gabled roof with 3 gabled dormers fitted
with 2-light casements. Internal gable-end stacks. House is
formed of 3 gabled roofs running east-west. East return with
conservatory butting onto curved flint wall to south studded
with re-used ashlar fragments with carving. West return with a
2-storey flint extension with red brick dressings and a hipped
slate roof. 2 bays with two 6/6 sashes each storey. Medieval
fragments re-used. INTERIOR: plan altered to form offices.
Staircase with wrought-iron balusters and ramped and wreathed
handrail. First-floor council chamber is plain. Roofs of
principals and taper-tenoned butt purlins.

Listing NGR: TL8696083161

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.