History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thetford Grammar School Library and Attached Former Stable

A Grade II Listed Building in Thetford, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4126 / 52°24'45"N

Longitude: 0.7447 / 0°44'40"E

OS Eastings: 586768

OS Northings: 282940

OS Grid: TL867829

Mapcode National: GBR RD7.P30

Mapcode Global: VHKCC.VMJD

Entry Name: Thetford Grammar School Library and Attached Former Stable

Listing Date: 1 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195953

English Heritage Legacy ID: 384683

Location: Thetford, Breckland, Norfolk, IP24

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: Thetford

Built-Up Area: Thetford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Thetford St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Thetford

Listing Text


THETFORD

TL8683 BRIDGE STREET
617-1/5/19 (North West side)
Thetford Grammar School Library and
attached former stable

GV II

School house until 1881, now the library. 1575, re-worked
early C19, rebuilt 1877. Cut flint with red brick and ashlar
dressings. Machine tile roofs. L-shaped plan. East front with
a gabled porch with a piece of re-used C12 stone decoration in
gable. Porch with diagonal buttresses. Right and left is one
4-light mullioned window. Gabled roof with fleche. Large
4-light south window with transom. To right is a twin gabled
wing, the gables of different sizes, lit through 2-light
mullioned windows and a 3-light cross casement. Gabled roof
with 2 triple-flued stacks with star tops. INTERIOR: stone
dogleg staircase to first floor. Main ground-floor library
divided by a mid C14 stone arch, representing the south
crossing tower arch of the Dominican church (qv). May not now
be in situ, but position relative to the church remains
roughly correct: wave-moulded, 2-centred, polygonal capitals.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to north-east corner is a
polygonal former stable. Early C19, brick and of 2 storeys
with round-arched openings to ground floor with windows or
blank frames above.
(Seymour D: Thetford Grammar School: An Outline History:
Thetford: 1991-).


Listing NGR: TL8676882940

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.