This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6379 / 50°38'16"N
Longitude: -4.3608 / 4°21'39"W
OS Eastings: 233154
OS Northings: 84684
OS Grid: SX331846
Mapcode National: GBR NL.91PQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 17RD.2X2
Entry Name: Wesley Methodist Church, and Attached Schoolroom, Vestry and Iron Railings
Listing Date: 13 September 1972
Last Amended: 7 June 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195975
English Heritage Legacy ID: 369983
Location: Launceston, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Launceston
Built-Up Area: Launceston
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Launceston
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX3284 CHURCH STREET
660-1/4/53 (West side)
13/09/72 Wesley Methodist Church, and
attached schoolroom, vestry and iron
(Formerly Listed as:
Wesley Methodist Church)
Nonconformist chapel. 1870 (on site of 1812 and 1862 chapel).
By James Hine and Alfred Norman of Plymouth; general
contractors Blatchfords of Tavistock; carving by Harry Hems of
Polychrome stone, brought to course with Bathstone, Portland
stone and granite dressings; very steep main roof, medium
pitch lean-to aisle roofs, all with dry Delabole slate and
coped ends; former tower spire removed early 1980s.
Nave, apsidal chancel, transept, aisles and attached tower.
Early Gothic style. Road front is symmetrical ritual west end
plus buttressed tower on right linked by courtyard doorway.
Church has tall central gable end with flanking buttresses,
quatrefoil vent over large 4-light pointed west window with
octofoil rose over 2 pointed arches enclosing quatrefoils over
trefoil-headed lights; triple entrance loggia with pointed
arches and sexfoil tympanae over polished granite shafted
piers and freestone abutments all with carved classically
inspired caps and imposts.
Flanking aisles each with 2-light traceried window; end
buttresses with crocketted pinnacles. All windows with leaded
glazing. 2-light clerestory windows to sides. 3-bay front end
of schoolroom on left has stepped 3-light window with round
arches and sill storey (reused from 1862 chapel) to projecting
central gabled bay and round-headed window with squat nook
shaft, to each side bay.
INTERIOR of chapel: arch-braced roof; 4-bay aisle arcades with
pointed arches; mullion shafts to clerestory windows; chancel
with painted wall panels by Harris of Plymouth.
Fittings: numbered pitch-pine pews, gallery at north (ritual
west) end with quatrefoil frieze; hexagonal-on-plan Bath stone
pulpit and round font; book stand and communion rail by Hart
Peard; desk in vestry by Whipple of Exeter 1890 from
schoolroom (qv) Castle Street.
Subsidiary features: Low rubble forecourt walls with chamfered
granite copings surmounted by iron railings with twist
stanchions with central balls and fleur-de-lis finials;
central gateway with square piers and pair of arched iron
gates with low frieze of roundels.
(Spencer-Toy H: The Methodist Church at Launceston:
Listing NGR: SX3315484684
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings