This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6374 / 50°38'14"N
Longitude: -4.3572 / 4°21'25"W
OS Eastings: 233411
OS Northings: 84617
OS Grid: SX334846
Mapcode National: GBR NL.92MP
Mapcode Global: FRA 17RD.4BS
Entry Name: Kensey Place
Listing Date: 7 June 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 369985
Location: Launceston, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Launceston
Built-Up Area: Launceston
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Launceston
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX3284 DOCKACRE ROAD
660-1/4/55 Kensey Place
Prison, later workhouse and almshouses. C17, substantially
rebuilt late C18.
Rubble with granite dressings to rear wing basements; brick
laid to Flemish bond front; steep bitumen-grouted steep rag
slate roofs with projecting front eaves; moulded cornice and
hipped returns; brick axial stacks and lateral stacks to outer
walls of rear wings.
Large U-shaped plan built on slope down at rear.
2 storeys over basement; nearly symmetrical 5:3:5-window road
front with gable (formerly a pediment) with oculus over
slightly-projecting central bays. Segmental arches over
various windows including 2 mid C19 six-pane hornless sashes
to 1st floor right; many old 2-light casements with glazing
bars and some C20 casements, 6 x C20 glazed doors; central
doorway to reduced through passage.
Basement of left-hand rear wing has chamfered 4-centred arched
doorway; 2-light hollow-chamfered and mullioned window on its
left. Wing opposite has heightened 4-centred arched doorway
and outer frame of window.
Rear elevation has original rubble masonry to ground floor
with some openings spanned by oak lintels.
History: In 1664 appalling conditions were reported by a
Quaker named Joseph Coale. In 1803 James Neil describes the
prison as "... a scene of filth, rags and wretchedness
scarcely exceeded in the Tollbooth of Glasgow."
In 1834 the last public flogging was administered to
J.K.Lethbridge, who was tied to a tree in the yard, given 25
lashes, and sentenced to 3 months in the Bridewell for
(Launceston, Past and Present: Robbins AF: Launceston: 1888-:
P.215, 291 AND 306).
Listing NGR: SX3341184617
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings