This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6374 / 50°38'14"N
Longitude: -4.3605 / 4°21'37"W
OS Eastings: 233176
OS Northings: 84628
OS Grid: SX331846
Mapcode National: GBR NL.91S2
Mapcode Global: FRA 17RD.31Z
Entry Name: No 4 Incorporating the Judge's Kitchen
Listing Date: 27 February 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195985
English Heritage Legacy ID: 370005
Location: Launceston, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Launceston
Built-Up Area: Launceston
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Launceston
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX3284 HIGH STREET
660-1/4/68 (North West side)
incorporating the Judge's Kitchen
Probable merchant's house. C16, or early C17, remodelled early
C18. Render on timber-frame with moulded wooden cornices to
shallow jetties to front; rear and wing has render on rubble
to ground floor and slatehanging on studwork above; steep rag
slate roof with 2 gabled dormers and deeply coved eaves
cornice; stone stack on right.
Courtyard plan including deep wing at right-angles to rear
right and wing returned parallel to rear (the Judges Kitchen).
3 storeys; 4-window range with late C19 two-pane horned sashes
within wooden architraves. Ground floor has house doorway with
panelled door on the left and large late C20 shop front on its
Rear has C18 stair window with thick glazing bars.
Left-hand elevation of rear wing has carved lead gutter dated
1707; original former 3-light granite mullioned window with 1
original leaded light and 1 mullion removed breaking eaves at
far right; 2 mid C19 12-pane hornless sashes on its left and
late C19 fourteen-pane horned sash to far left; ground floor
with pentice roof and 8-pane horned sashes in possible
original openings in pairs of lights with rendered mullions
between and original 4-centred arched chamfered doorway on the
right. Other elevation has at least one C18 window with thick
Wing, known as the Judges Kitchen, returned parallel and
enclosing yard at rear has similar original doorway on its
right; 4-pane horned sash breaking eaves above; projecting
gable resembling pediment on left over blind 1st floor and
blocked window to ground floor.
INTERIOR: C16 floor structures and roof structure, with both
trenched and butt purlins, to front range; some floor
structure and original roof structure, with feet of trusses
only, visible to rear wing.
Interior of the Judges Kitchen not accessible except for
ground-floor passage later cut through from inside its
original doorway (with internal oak lintels) to right-hand
This evidence suggests that these 2 wings may not have had
internal communication originally. Surviving original features
include: 2 moulded oak doorways to 2nd floor between front and
adjoining wing with cup and cover stops, the other with armour
stops, both with original 9-panel studded doors; some
panelling to 1st-floor landing area and some ovolo-moulded
doorframes; later C17 scratch-moulded door (repaired C19)
between front attics.
C18 features include: open-well closed-string staircase with
pulvinated frieze; fairly heavy turned balusters; moulded
handrail, newel caps and pendants; ovolo-moulded panelling to
wide passage beside shop including a round-arched niche and
frame for fireplace; communicating doorway between landing and
rear room of wing and several 2-panel doors; bolection-moulded
chimneypiece to 2nd-floor right.
Mid C19 remodelling of rear right-hand wing includes a curved
open-well stair; quadrant-on plan door and an iron grate.
HISTORY: reputed to be a former house of "The Hanging Judge",
An interesting and remarkably (for Cornwall) complete large
probable merchant's house built around 3 sides of a courtyard
at rear and adjoining the former castle ditch.
Listing NGR: SX3317684628
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings