History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Badash Farmhouse and Attached Garden Walls and Pump

A Grade II Listed Building in Launceston, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6255 / 50°37'31"N

Longitude: -4.3634 / 4°21'48"W

OS Eastings: 232926

OS Northings: 83309

OS Grid: SX329833

Mapcode National: GBR NL.9T63

Mapcode Global: FRA 17RF.1WY

Entry Name: Badash Farmhouse and Attached Garden Walls and Pump

Listing Date: 21 September 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195990

English Heritage Legacy ID: 370023

Location: Launceston, Cornwall, PL15

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Launceston

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Launceston

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Launceston

Listing Text


LAUNCESTON

SX38SW LINK ROAD
660-1/2/86 Badash Farmhouse and attached garden
21/09/92 walls and pump

GV II

Farmhouse, used as meeting house for early Methodists. Early
C18 incorporating masonry from earlier, probable C17 house.
Rubble walls much of which is slate hung including front;
steeply-pitched U-plan hipped rag slate roof with gabled
returns and C18 coved eaves cornice, returned at the ends;
some C17 crested clay ridge tiles; slatehung end stacks and
older rubble lateral stack towards rear on right.
Shallow double-depth plan, plus rear wing on right mostly
rebuilt mid/late C19.
2 storeys; symmetrical 3-window front. Original 12-pane
hornless sashes with thick glazing bars to 1st floor over
early or mid C19 twelve-pane hornless sashes and central
doorway with C18 six-panel door with fielded panels within mid
C19 glazed box porch with end pilasters and moulded cornice
and pair of top-glazed doors, 6-panes per light.
Many of the large hanging slates are inscribed including one
with "William Sargent, November 18th 1798" and a picture of a
man resembling John Wesley on the left.
Rear has original central round-headed stair sash with
fanlight head and thick glazing bars; to slate-hung right-hand
gable is a rare 2-light mullioned window with original leaded
glazing to one light and a mid C18 six-pane opening casement
with thick glazing bars; also central 2-light gable dormer
with 1-light blocked. Other windows are mid C19 hornless
sashes or late C19 horned sashes, all with glazing bars.
INTERIOR: original dog-leg stair with closed string and turned
balusters; mid C19 doors and window shutters; mid C19 plaster
ceiling cornices to front rooms. 1st floor and attic not
inspected but likely to retain C18 roof structures.
Subsidiary items: attached rubble garden walls and well-head
with granite trough and lead spout dated 1846; also lean-to
outhouse parallel at rear of farmhouse.
HISTORY: William O'Bryan (born at Gunwen Farm Lusulyan 6th
February 1778) following expulsion from the Weslyan
Conference, became leader of a movement known as the
Bryanites. He founded The Bible Christian Society on 9th
October 1815. On 11th February 1819 O'Bryan and his family
moved to Badash from Kilkhampton. The first conference of the
new body was held at Launceston on 17th August 1819, the 2nd
one at Badash 2 years later.
It is possible that Badash Farmhouse was already a regular
Methodist meeting place before O'Bryan lived here. The
inscribed slate is possible evidence for this. Badash was
spelt Bodashe in the C16. Badash is an unusual C18 and earlier
farmhouse with many rare features and is grouped with an
unusually complete and unaltered range of farm buildings
including a C18 granary. This house and its farm buildings are
particularly important for their architectural and historic
interest and are set amidst open farmland.
(Spencer-Toy H: The Methodist Church at Launceston: 1964-: 53
- 57; Robbins AF: Launceston, Past and Present: Launceston:
1888-: 113, 300).


Listing NGR: SX3292683309

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.