This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6412 / 50°38'28"N
Longitude: -4.3661 / 4°21'58"W
OS Eastings: 232793
OS Northings: 85062
OS Grid: SX327850
Mapcode National: GBR NL.8SDL
Mapcode Global: FRA 17RC.T0G
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas by Launceston
Listing Date: 27 February 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196004
English Heritage Legacy ID: 370056
Location: Launceston, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Launceston
Built-Up Area: Launceston
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Launceston
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX3285 RIVERSIDE, St Thomas
660-1/3/230 Church of St Thomas-by-Launceston
Priory church. Norman font; 1482 on site of former Augustine
Priory (qv), restored 1871.
Dressed volcanic stone, greenstone and granite; dry Delabole
slate roofs with central ventilators; octagonal stone stack to
west gable of S, aisle and moulded stack to N gable of
Plan: nave/chancel; west tower; south aisle and south porch
C19 north transept. North wall rebuilt and the whole re-roofed
Slender 2-stage unbuttressed embattled tower with slate
louvres to upper stage; strings and squat leper window in
position of usual west doorway. C15 three-light traceried
windows to chancel; 3 to S wall of S aisle and 5-light window
to west of aisle, otherwise C19 traceried windows except for
3-light N transept window with segmental-arched lights;
roodstair projecting to S wall left of moulded basket-arched
priests doorway. Porch has crucifix finial to coped end over
square hood to C15 doorway; carved fragments including
Catherine wheel right of doorway.
INTERIOR: plastered walls with fragment of wall painting at
east end; C15 five-bay Standard A (Pevsner) arcade: 1871
arch-braced, wind-braced roofs; trefoil-headed aumbry to S
wall of chapel in S aisle.
Fittings: large Norman font with square bowl, octagonal shaft
and round base; some old coloured glass; early C16 linenfold
screens to tower and inside S door; earliest bell 1745, recast
1911; C19 carved octagonal pulpit and other C19 fittings.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cornwall: 1953-1970:
Listing NGR: SX3279385062
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings