This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6369 / 50°38'12"N
Longitude: -4.3596 / 4°21'34"W
OS Eastings: 233236
OS Northings: 84570
OS Grid: SX332845
Mapcode National: GBR NL.9804
Mapcode Global: FRA 17RD.9BZ
Entry Name: 5 and 7, Southgate Street
Listing Date: 27 February 1950
Last Amended: 7 June 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196027
English Heritage Legacy ID: 370122
Location: Launceston, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Launceston
Built-Up Area: Launceston
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Launceston
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX32843384 SOUTHGATE STREET
660-1/4/127 (East side)
27/02/50 Nos.5 AND 7
Formerly known as: Nos.5 AND 5A SOUTHGATE STREET.
Large town house. Early/mid C18 but possibly a re-walling of a
C17 timber-framed house jettied to each floor and each side.
Red brick face laid to Flemish bond on rubble; flat keyed
arches; rag slate roof with pediment to front over central 3
bays broken forward; modillion eaves and pediment cornice.
Double-depth plan. 3 storeys; nearly symmetrical 5-window
front. Original hornless sashes with thick glazing bars:
square windows to 2nd floor, tall windows below.
Ground floor has full-width early C20 transomed shop front
with leaded glazed top-lights; end pilasters, slender
mullions; fascia with moulded cornice and blinds. Rear is a
similar symmetrical 5-window garden front with original
sashes. Right-hand return has original Venetian stair sash and
smaller sash to back stair on its right.
INTERIOR: many original C18 moulded ceiling cornices, some
with dentils, including that of stair hall with Tuscan columns
to window; right-hand room with fielded panelling to right
(now in passage), modillion cornice and ribbed ceiling with
concave corners, central quatrefoil and arabesques. Jointed
and pegged oak studwork partitions, with later brick nogging,
and ceiling beams with dragon beam to each corner of upper
floors suggesting possible jettied origins; C18 oak roof
structure. Plaque on front of house records that this was the
birthplace on 23rd April 1758 of Philip Gidley King appointed
Governor of New South Wales 1800 and who sent Lt. Col.
Paterson to found Launceston, Tasmania in 1804.
Listing NGR: SX3323684570
Other nearby listed buildings