History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Corn Exchange, Now Silverline Bingo

A Grade II Listed Building in Newark, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0768 / 53°4'36"N

Longitude: -0.8131 / 0°48'47"W

OS Eastings: 479607

OS Northings: 353943

OS Grid: SK796539

Mapcode National: GBR CLM.575

Mapcode Global: WHFHH.HX0M

Entry Name: Former Corn Exchange, Now Silverline Bingo

Listing Date: 19 May 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196050

English Heritage Legacy ID: 384947

Location: Newark, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG24

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Newark

Built-Up Area: Newark-on-Trent

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Newark-upon-Trent with Coddington

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Newark upon Trent

Listing Text


NEWARK ON TRENT

SK7953NE CASTLEGATE
619-1/8/97 (North West side)
19/05/71 No.18
Former Corn Exchange, now Silverline
Bingo

GV II

Former corn exchange, now bingo hall. Dated 1847 on inscribed
foundation stone, altered internally mid and late C20. By
Henry Duesbury with sculpture by John Bell. Ashlar and brick,
with ashlar dressings and partly glazed ridge and furrow roof.
Italian Baroque style. Steps, plinth, giant Corinthian double
pilasters, cornice and balustrade with double corner pedestals
with finials. Front single storey, rear 2 storeys plus
basement. 3x8 bays. 3 round headed alcoves with pilasters and
keystones and coffered panelled heads, each with a pair of
half-glazed doors. Above, in the centre of the parapet, a
datestone, 1847, in Roman numerals. Central square tower with
pilastered corners and pedimented gable, topped with an
octagonal dome with finial. On each face a blank dial draped
with a sheaf. Life-size supporting figures of Agriculture and
Commerce. River front has rendered plinth and pilasters.
Projecting centre, one window, with pilasters and full height
round headed recess with keystone. Above it, a rendered square
pedestal topped with a 2-stage octagonal bell turret with
conical roof. Central glazing bar sash flanked by smaller
windows, 2 to left, 3 to right. Above, central blank flanked
by single glazing bar sashes with keystones. Below, segment
headed glazing bar sash flanked to left by C20 casement and to
right by segment headed French window. On either side, 8 full
height round headed blank panels. Right side has 6 segment
headed openings to the basement, mostly with close boarded
doors, and to the right a 2-leaf panelled door. Interior has
Corinthian pilasters and moulded cornice. At either end, a 3
bay panelled gallery, with the recesses below panelled in late
C20. Unusual roof structure with 3 parallel ridges, carried on
panelled wooden beams. Originally glazed, now mainly panelled.
Entrance lobby has panelled doors and recesses.


Listing NGR: SK7960753943

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.