This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0758 / 53°4'32"N
Longitude: -0.8063 / 0°48'22"W
OS Eastings: 480068
OS Northings: 353841
OS Grid: SK800538
Mapcode National: GBR CLN.0ZK
Mapcode Global: WHFHH.LY8D
Entry Name: Barnby Gate Methodist Church and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 19 May 1971
Last Amended: 13 August 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196075
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384909
Location: Newark, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG24
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Newark
Built-Up Area: Newark-on-Trent
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Newark-upon-Trent with Coddington
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
NEWARK ON TRENT
SK8053NW BARNBY GATE
619-1/9/62 (North East side)
19/05/71 Barnby Gate Methodist Church and
(Formerly Listed as:
Methodist church and attached railings. c 1845. Brick with
ashlar dressings. Roof not visible. Plinth and coped parapet.
2 storeys; 4x6 bays. Front has quoins and entablature with 2
higher sections in the parapet. Upper storey has 4 round
headed glazing bar sashes arranged 1:2:1, alternating with
paired pilasters. Below, under a full-width entablature, a
pair of flat headed windows with moulded surrounds, flanked by
single projecting Doric porticos with pairs of round and
square piers. Each has a pair of panelled doors with
overlights and moulded surrounds. Sides have full-height
recesses with moulded round heads and linked hood moulds. Each
has a round headed glazing bar sash, the right one with
stained glass. Below them, a pair of stained glass windows
flanked by 2 glazing bar sashes. East end has 4 round headed
windows and below, 4 smaller windows, the left one partly
blocked and the central pair boarded up. Interior has oval
panelled gallery carried on cast iron columns with acanthus
tops. Moulded cross-beam ceiling with rosettes and modillion
frieze with guilloche. ground floor has at either end two
6-panel doors with cornices. South side has 2 mid C20 stained
glass windows. West end has 2 late C19 memorial windows. First
floor windows have linked hood moulds. North 1941. Entrance
hall has 2 open well staircases with vase and stem balusters.
Fittings include painted wooden Classical style pulpit with
communion table on scroll brackets, and curved flanking
stairs. Pulpit rail, communion rail and stair balustrades in
cast iron. Above the pulpit, a Classical organ case with
projecting centre and pilasters topped with urns. Ground floor
has fitted box pews and gallery has curved benches, those
nearest the organ with late C19 cast iron music stands.
Classical style wooden war memorial tablet. Outside,
round-cornered dwarf stone wall with cast iron spearhead
railing, partly renewed.
Listing NGR: SK8006853841
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings