This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0252 / 52°1'30"N
Longitude: 0.2384 / 0°14'18"E
OS Eastings: 553674
OS Northings: 238678
OS Grid: TL536386
Mapcode National: GBR MBX.TB8
Mapcode Global: VHHL4.2CX9
Entry Name: Walsingham House
Listing Date: 28 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196139
English Heritage Legacy ID: 370445
Location: Saffron Walden, Uttlesford, Essex, CB10
Civil Parish: Saffron Walden
Built-Up Area: Saffron Walden
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Grammar school, now house. Mid C17, refronted in 1825 and
enlarged 1852. (1) Timber-framed and plastered with peg-tiled
roof, (2) Red brick with slate roof. L shaped plan of rear C17
schoolroom and square street range block of 2 builds. 2
storeys and cellar.
S front elevation: early C19 red brick with well preserved
tuck pointing, low pitched hipped slate roof, deep eaves. 3
bays, central door, stacks through E and W side roof pitches.
Doorway, wooden, early C19, plain severe pilasters with
capitals and bases, flat slightly projecting hood, door of 6
panels with plain over-light. All window sashes with glazing
bars, 4x4 panes, straight voussoired heads.
Rear, N elevation: rear of street range to E, timber-framed
and plastered single storey C17 classroom projects to W. House
has ground floor 2-leaf fully-glazed French window 4x5 panes
with ornate semicircular overlight with radial petal glazing,
good voussoirs, also sliding sash window 4x4 panes. First
floor, similar window but with segment head. Prominent large
rear central stack. Schoolroom, E face to garden has traces of
combed panel pargetting with sliding sash window 4x4 panes,
also door of 4 moulded panels approached by steps. Above,
plaster relief panel with 1665, AUT DISCE AUT DOCE AUT
DISCEDE. N end of schoolroom, 2 large window with glazing
bars, lower one 5x3 panes, upper one segment headed 5x4 panes.
W side elevation: flanking pathway to Lower Square. S-N,
Rectangular red brick block of house, 2 units, to S, build of
1825 with single first floor segment headed sliding sash
window, 4x4 panes, adjacent high central plaque records in
Latin the building of the house for the Grammar School master
in 1825. Front brickwork to street straight-jointed to rest
showing 2 phases of brickwork. Coal hole in York paving slab
projects into side alley, simple patterned cast-iron lid. To
N, rear brick unit of 1852 divided from front block by single
brick inset. Ground floor, segment headed window with glazing
bars 5x4 panes, outer ones at sides as narrow margin lights.
First floor, 2 segment headed sliding sash windows 4x4 panes.
To N, timber-framed schoolroom on high red brick base, weather
boarded and plastered above with traces of arc combed
pargetting. Single sliding sash window, 4x4 panes with boarded
shutter hinged to side, peg-tiled roof has central lantern.
E side elevation: similar to W, partly obscured but 2 C19
brick units clear with 2 rear upper windows, one plain, other
double casement 4x3 panes. Side stack beyond to N.
Straight-joint of frontage brickwork to side wall clear as on
INTERIOR: essentially plain but schoolroom has 3 cambered
tie-beams, now boxed and with reinforcing metal corner
brackets. Ceiling rises above as `waggon' roof. Within house
is window, once external, surviving on ground floor at
junction of 1825 house and 1852 extension.
Listing NGR: TL5367438678
Other nearby listed buildings