This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0243 / 52°1'27"N
Longitude: 0.2405 / 0°14'25"E
OS Eastings: 553818
OS Northings: 238582
OS Grid: TL538385
Mapcode National: GBR MC3.1LX
Mapcode Global: VHHL4.3CZZ
Entry Name: 17, Market Hill
Listing Date: 28 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196218
English Heritage Legacy ID: 370664
Location: Saffron Walden, Uttlesford, Essex, CB10
Civil Parish: Saffron Walden
Built-Up Area: Saffron Walden
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
TL5338 MARKET HILL
669-1/1/279 (West side)
Shop, was once part of the Sun Inn, which included Nos 25-31
(odd) Church Street (qv). Rectangular plan of 2 parallel
blocks. To W mid C14, to E C16, comprising a service
cross-wing of a C14 medieval hall extending to W and an
addition to its E side occupying the Church St, Market Hill
corner site. Both units decorated in C17 and restored in C19
in common with whole Sun Inn assemblage. 2 storeys.
Timber-framed and plastered with C17 and probably later
pargetting, peg-tiled roof.
N elevation to Church Street: W unit, jettied service
cross-wing, ground floor, 3-light window each light with
2-centre arched head with central mullion, trefoiled
sub-lights and upper quatrefoil. Central window head original
to C14, whole of rest C19. First floor, 3-light window with
C19 cast-iron hexagonal latticed panes. To E, additional late
medieval cross-wing with ground floor 3-light casement window
and upper transom, plain glass. Doorway adjacent, set
diagonally on street corner to Market Hill. Jetty carried by 2
diagonal braces from door-case, all C19 work. First floor,
3-light window with cast-iron hexagonal latticed panes. Joists
of service and additional cross-wing original to builds, both
now covered with a facia board dated 1600, decorated with leaf
ornamented wave. First floor pargetted with reticulated motifs
containing flower and geometrical patterns. Large C19 brick
stack in Tudor style rises from gully between roof pitches.
E elevation, to Market Hill: jettied side of added cross-wing,
C19 Tudor restoration continued from front in Church Street.
Ground floor, N-S, diagonally set door with adjacent 4-light
shop window in similar style to one adjoining door on front,
framed and boarded door with divided over-light. Tall narrow
fixed window, moulded frame and sill, plain glass. First
floor, one 3-light and one 2-light window, both with cast-iron
hexagonal latticed casements. Jetty joists covered by facia
board similar to one on N elevation, also, similar reticulated
pargetting. Rear, S elevation: C14 gabled cross-wing with
additional block to E mainly obscured. Cross-wing plastered,
irregular fenestration. Ground floor, plain C20 door with 2
upper glazed panes, adjacent rudimentary glazed opening. First
floor, one sash window 3x4 panes, one casement 3x2 panes,
also, intermediate C20 casement window 3x2 panes.
INTERIOR: features obscured but the upper structure of C14
cross-wing visible in roof of crown-post construction and
similar to that over hall and further cross-wing over Nos 29 &
31 Church Street, to W.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Ratcliffe E: Essex:
London: 1965-: 337; Hewett C: English Historic Carpentry:
Chichester: 1980-: 177).
Listing NGR: TL5381838582
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings