This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0243 / 52°1'27"N
Longitude: 0.2578 / 0°15'27"E
OS Eastings: 555004
OS Northings: 238614
OS Grid: TL550386
Mapcode National: GBR MC4.009
Mapcode Global: VHHL4.FD40
Entry Name: Saffron Walden Community Hospital
Listing Date: 10 September 1982
Last Amended: 31 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196235
English Heritage Legacy ID: 370713
Location: Saffron Walden, Uttlesford, Essex, CB11
Civil Parish: Saffron Walden
Built-Up Area: Saffron Walden
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
TL5438 RADWINTER ROAD
669-1/2/324 (North side)
10/09/82 Saffron Walden Community Hospital
(Formerly Listed as:
Saffron Walden Hospital)
Union workhouse, now hospital. 1837. James Clephan, after
Sampson Kempthorne's model plan of 1835. Minor later C19
additions to N and NW. Yellow stockbrick, main roofs C20
asbestos sheet, lower roofs slate. Some stacks rebuilt in red
brick. Cruciform plan, the N and S wings longer. 3 storeys
with single storey ranges enclosing courtyards in angles.
Ocatagonal central block, square pavilions terminating each
wing, stacks at apex of roofs, that to W missing. 2-course
raised string band at level of springing of window arches to
each storey. Round-arched windows grouped in threes with some
additional single windows with small-paned metal glazing with
radial hopper-heads; some C20 replacement and alterations,
especially to S entrance elevation. INTERIOR retains
cantilevered stone stairs with iron balustrades.
Slightly later detached casualty ward to SW, now workshop and
stores. Slate roof, yellow brick, single storey, stack to NE
corner. High level round timber pivoting windows to sides,
some altered to W. INTERIOR with central axial corridor,
sliding doors to former cells each with iron ventilation
grille above. 2 cells survive intact. Late C20 linked
extension to E. Built for 311 inmates, cost approx 7500
(Kelly's Directory of Essex, 1866; Saffron Walden Union Minute
Book VI, 1835-37: G/SW/M1).
Listing NGR: TL5500438614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings