History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lifeboat Monument Approximately 100 Metres South East of St Annes Pier

A Grade II Listed Building in Saint Anne's on the Sea, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.749 / 53°44'56"N

Longitude: -3.0338 / 3°2'1"W

OS Eastings: 331924

OS Northings: 428563

OS Grid: SD319285

Mapcode National: GBR 7T72.ZT

Mapcode Global: WH85N.C1K9

Entry Name: Lifeboat Monument Approximately 100 Metres South East of St Annes Pier

Listing Date: 15 February 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196340

English Heritage Legacy ID: 385313

Location: Saint Anne's on the Sea, Fylde, Lancashire, FY8

County: Lancashire

District: Fylde

Civil Parish: Saint Anne's on the Sea

Built-Up Area: Lytham St Anne's

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: St Annes on Sea St Anne (Heyhouses)

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Saint Annes on the Sea

Listing Text


LYTHAM ST ANNES

SD32NW SOUTH PROMENADE, St Annes
621-1/2/110 (South West side)
Lifeboat monument approx. 100m SE
of St Annes Pier

GV II

Monument to crew of St Anne's lifeboat. c.1890, by W.B.Rhind
of Edinburgh. Commemorates 13 crew of lifeboat, drowned 1886.
Sandstone. Ashlar plinth approx. 2 metres square and 2 metres
high, the base tapered; tall rock pedestal approx. 3 metres
high surmounted by over-life-size statue of lifeboatman. A
lettered panel on the south side of the pedestal records that
the monument was erected by public subscription, listing the
names of the crew who lost their lives attempting to rescue
the crew of the German barque "Mexico" wrecked off Southport
on 9 December 1886; and the east side of the base is inscribed
"W.B.RHIND Sc EDINBUGH". (See also the "Laura Janet" monument
in the churchyard of the church of St Cuthbert, Church Road,
Lytham.)


Listing NGR: SD3192428563

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.