History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fylde, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7369 / 53°44'12"N

Longitude: -2.9549 / 2°57'17"W

OS Eastings: 337110

OS Northings: 427151

OS Grid: SD371271

Mapcode National: GBR 7TT7.24

Mapcode Global: WH85P.LB4J

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 13 January 1971

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196368

English Heritage Legacy ID: 385273

Location: Fylde, Lancashire, FY8

County: Lancashire

District: Fylde

Town: Fylde

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Built-Up Area: Lytham St Anne's

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lytham St John the Divine

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lytham St Annes

Listing Text


LYTHAM ST ANNES

SD3627 EAST BEACH, Lytham
621-1/4/55 (North side)
13/01/71 Church of St John

GV II*

Church. 1848-9, by E.H.Shellard and among his best works;
transepts added and chancel extended 1856-7 by the same
architect; altered. Sandstone ashlar with Cumberland slate
roof.
Early English style.
Narrow nave with wide north and south aisles, south-west
steeple attached to south aisle, north and south transepts,
chancel with south chapel and north vestry.
The 4-stage tower, with clasping corner pilasters, a weathered
band over the 1st stage, string-courses to the upper stages
and a corbel table to the belfry, has a 2-centred arched
doorway with set-in shafts and a hoodmould with figured stops
(king to left, bishop to right), and double doors with
ornamental scrolled strap hinges; very small lancets to the
2nd and 3rd stages; 2 louvred lancet belfry windows; and a
broach spire with lucarnes on 2 levels.
The aisles have low buttressed side walls, sillbands and
coupled lancet windows with linked hoodmoulds; the nave has a
buttressed west end with 2 tall lancet windows, and a
pilastered clerestory with small triple-lancets; the transepts
have angle buttresses, 3 very narrow lancets and a circular
window above (wheel in south, multifoil in north); the south
chapel (formerly the choir vestry) has a war memorial plaque
in place of a former south doorway, and lancet windows of 1, 3
and 1 lights; and the chancel has an east window of 3 stepped
lancets with a sillband and linked hoodmoulds.
INTERIOR: 6-bay aisle arcades of double-chamfered 2-centred
arches on short cylindrical piers with moulded annular caps
which include a dog-tooth band; roof of arch-braced collar
trusses with wallposts rising from wall-shafts on figured
corbels; similar roof to chancel, with curved windbraces to
the purlins; former chancel screen removed to form baptistery
at west end of north transept; box pews - quite unusual for
the date - many with original doors and painted numbers (2 at
the rear of each aisle lettered "FREE"), and brass umbrella
brackets; stone Gothic-style War Memorial dado in south chapel
(with plaque recording that it was dedicated by William
Temple, Bishop of Manchester, in 1921, the second year of his
episcopacy).
HISTORY: site donated by Clifton family of Lytham Hall (q.v.),
church built by public subscription.


Listing NGR: SD3711027151

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.