History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Main Lodges and Entrance Gates to Lytham Hall and Attached Boundary Wall to North East

A Grade II Listed Building in Fylde, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7413 / 53°44'28"N

Longitude: -2.9635 / 2°57'48"W

OS Eastings: 336550

OS Northings: 427642

OS Grid: SD365276

Mapcode National: GBR 7TR5.6L

Mapcode Global: WH85P.G716

Entry Name: Main Lodges and Entrance Gates to Lytham Hall and Attached Boundary Wall to North East

Listing Date: 6 June 1951

Last Amended: 10 November 2003

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196375

English Heritage Legacy ID: 385289

Location: Fylde, Lancashire, FY8

County: Lancashire

District: Fylde

Town: Fylde

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Built-Up Area: Lytham St Anne's

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lytham St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lytham St Annes

Listing Text

LYTHAM ST ANNES

621-1/4/70 LYTHAM PARK
06-JUN-1951 LYTHAM
MAIN LODGES AND ENTRANCE GATES TO LYTH
AM HALL, AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL TO
NORTH EAST

(Formerly listed as:
LYTHAM PARK
LYTHAM
MAIN LODGES AND ENTRANCE GATES TO LYTH
AM HALL)

II

Entrance archway with integral lodges. Probably 1840s, originally sited adjacent to the (former) Estate Office in Hastings Place and removed to this site after that approach to the Hall was interrupted by the Lytham-Blackpool Railway (1861-3). Red brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings, slate roofs (concealed) and wrought-iron gates.
Italianate style. A symmetrical composition consisting of single-storeyed and single-cell lodges flanking a 2-storeyed round-headed archway; with a stone plinth, emphatic rusticated quoins, string-courses to the lodges, prominent moulded imposts to the archway run out as cornices to the lodges, balustraded parapets to these, a moulded surround to the arch with carved keystone, a dentilled frieze, prominent modillioned cornice, and blocking course surmounted by elaborate carved cresting which includes the Clifton arms. The archway is furnished with full-height wrought-iron gates (traditionally said to have been designed by Wren). The lodges each have a window with a shouldered architrave, quintuple keystone and moulded cornice (but altered glazing); a doorway to the drive; and a concealed roof with a chimney at the outer end. Attached to each is a short lower screen wall, with a forward wing still lower, linked to a terminal pier. The attached boundary wall extends north-eastwards from the east lodge for approx. 550 metres. c.1850, with alterations and repairs. Built of cobblestones with a render capping. Approx. 1.5 metres in height, apart from a taller section which is attached to the entrance gateway and which includes a doorway. The wall runs up to the line of the Liggard Brook midway along its length, and incorporates a low ashlar parapet wall to the road bridge which spans the watercourse.


Listing NGR: SD3655027642

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.