This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6661 / 54°39'58"N
Longitude: -1.6696 / 1°40'10"W
OS Eastings: 421406
OS Northings: 530168
OS Grid: NZ214301
Mapcode National: GBR JGSH.B3
Mapcode Global: WHC52.BZ57
Entry Name: Screen Wall and Garden Walls to South and East of Auckland Castle
Listing Date: 21 April 1952
Last Amended: 23 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196448
English Heritage Legacy ID: 385605
Location: Bishop Auckland, County Durham, DL14
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Bishop Auckland
Built-Up Area: Bishop Auckland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Bishop Auckland
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ2130 AUCKLAND CASTLE PARK
634-1/8/82 (East side (off))
21/04/52 Screen wall and garden walls to
south and east of Auckland Castle
(Formerly Listed as:
Screen wall to S of Auckland Castle)
Screen wall, railings and gates to garden of Auckland Castle
(qv), with wall around east and north sides of garden. c1795.
By James Wyatt for Bishop Shute Barrington. Ashlar screen,
rubble garden wall with ashlar coping, wrought-iron gates and
railings. Gothick style. Main screen wall along south side of
castle garden is ashlar, and battlemented throughout. Tall
octagonal turrets with arrow slits and corbelled battlements
define end bays and central gateway. Gateway has canted walls
with wide pointed arches flanking high pointed entrance arch,
with painted panels with arms of Diocese at left and of Bishop
Barrington at right above. Long walls either side have 8 wide
pointed arches to left and 7 to right, filled with plain
wrought-iron railings with pointed heads, as are side arches
of entrance. Gates in same style have quadrant bracing to
upper panels. Garden wall to left of screen is coursed squared
stone with battlemented ashlar coping, and near left end has
service entrance with rectangular gate piers; gates in same
style as those at centre of screen. To right of screen,
coursed squared stone wall continues around west and north of
garden and has battlemented ashlar parapets. At east and west
ends of north wall pointed arches contain 6-panel doors with
shaped top panels, the west door returning to join wall below
Church of St Peter (qv).
(Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects
1600-1840: London: 1978-: 750).
Listing NGR: NZ2140630168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings