This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0297 / 53°1'46"N
Longitude: -2.2156 / 2°12'55"W
OS Eastings: 385640
OS Northings: 348062
OS Grid: SJ856480
Mapcode National: GBR M98.ZG
Mapcode Global: WHBCS.Y34Q
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 21 October 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196517
English Heritage Legacy ID: 385912
Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, ST5
Electoral Ward/Division: Wolstanton
Built-Up Area: Newcastle-under-Lyme
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: St Margaret, Wolstanton
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME
SJ84NE CHURCH LANE, Wolstanton
644-1/4/66 (East side)
21/10/49 Church of St Margaret
Church. Mainly of 1860, but incorporating substantial ammounts
of medieval building, including north tower and spire. Largely
by Ward and Son, with chancel by Salvin. Sandstone rubble,
coursed and squared, tiled roof with scalloped bands and ridge
cresting. North tower, nave, 2 aisles, chancel. Decorated
style. Squat 3-stage tower with parapet and pinnacles and
recessed octagonal spire. Decorated lights with deep splays in
lower stage and to bell-chamber. Inserted Victorian doorway in
east wall. North vestry to chancel, and 3-light Decorated east
window with fluid tracery. Small window in east wall of nave
above chancel roofline. 2-light Decorated aisle windows, heavy
buttresses, corbel table. Heavy south porch with angle
buttresses and ball-flower decoration to moulded archway.
Foliate hood mould with cresting. INTERIOR: nave arcades of 4
bays with octagonal shafts. Hammer beam roof, wood traceried
chancel screen. Late C19 stained glass, and tiled floors.
Series of monuments to members of Sneyd family in chancel:
wall tablet to John Sneyd, 1710, pedimented with urn and
flanking cherubs; Sir William and Anne Sneyd, 1571, an
alabaster chest tomb with recumbant effigies and 11 children
represented in high relief round the base. Re-cut stone canopy
with strapwork and arms; two other tablets to Radulph and
William Sneyd (1729).
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire:
Listing NGR: SJ8564048062
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings