This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0419 / 53°2'30"N
Longitude: -2.2528 / 2°15'10"W
OS Eastings: 383147
OS Northings: 349431
OS Grid: SJ831494
Mapcode National: GBR M14.Y2
Mapcode Global: WHBCL.CSGW
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 27 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196518
English Heritage Legacy ID: 385916
Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, ST5
Electoral Ward/Division: Chesterton
Built-Up Area: Newcastle-under-Lyme
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Chesterton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME
SJ84NW CHURCH STREET, Chesterton
644-1/3/60 (East side)
27/09/72 Church of Holy Trinity
Church. 1851-2. By H. Ward and Son of Hanley. Coursed and
squared red sandstone rubble, with plain tiled roof with
scalloped bands and ridge cresting. North-west tower, nave,
two aisles, chancel. 3-stage tower and brooch spire with 2
lucarnes. Decorated paired bell-chamber lights, corbel table.
Shafts to south doorway with heavy plain hood mould. Foiled
lancets to south aisle, grouped foiled lancets to north.
Lancet windows divided by central buttress in west wall, with
trefoil over. 3-light Early English style window with
continouous hood mould and trefoiled light over to chancel,
which has clasping angle buttresses with gablets and
INTERIOR: nave arcade of 5 bays to north with cylindrical
shafts with double-chamfered arches. Octagonal piers and
cylindrical shafts to south arcade of 2 bays, interrupted by
archway to tower, which is carried on corbels. North aisle
windows recessed in paired trefoiled arches with central
shaft. South windows are lancets in deep splayed embrasures.
Nave roof with long raking trusses carried on corbels with
collar and wind-braces. Chancel arch with responds that appear
to cut the deep moulded archway. Chancel roof has braced
rafters with collars. Oak altar, rails and reredos. Sedilia to
south. Chancel screen is wrought-iron, a delicate design
incorporating flowers and foliage. Stained glass: east window
by Wailes, brightly coloured figures of Saint John and Christ,
with dove in trefoil over; other unattributed windows in north
aisle (1895) and east window of south aisle. Fragment of tomb
slab or cross portraying figure carrying spear(?) c.800, and
interlace decoration, found on nearby farm. Medieval font,
octagonal with deep ogee moulding on each face.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire:
Listing NGR: SJ8314749431
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.