This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.6664 / 54°39'59"N
Longitude: -1.6731 / 1°40'23"W
OS Eastings: 421184
OS Northings: 530197
OS Grid: NZ211301
Mapcode National: GBR JGRH.L0
Mapcode Global: WHC52.8ZK1
Entry Name: The Elms
Listing Date: 21 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196569
English Heritage Legacy ID: 385713
Location: Bishop Auckland, County Durham, DL14
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Bishop Auckland
Built-Up Area: Bishop Auckland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Bishop Auckland
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ2130 MARKET PLACE
634-1/8/72 (North side (off))
Formerly known as: The Elms SILVER STREET.
House, later savings bank, now municipal offices. Mid C18.
Flemish-bond brick with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings.
Rubble returns and rear with brick dressings. Concrete tile
roof with brick chimneys.
3 storeys, 4 windows, with set back 2-storey one-window
extensions at each side. 6-panel door and patterned overlight
in third bay with painted Ionic porch, front columns fluted
and rear pilasters enriched as are door and its surround.
Rinceau frieze over door. 12-pane sashes on first floor and to
right of door have flat brick arches and painted sills,
similar arches to long 12-pane windows inserted to left of
door in narrow openings, with brick courses continuing the
lintels. 4-pane second-floor sashes have painted sills, and
lintels obscured by eaves gutter board. Hipped roof with right
end and left rear chimneys. Left extension has vehicle doors
under a high brick arch with 6-pane light above. Right
extension has small first-floor window and pent roof. At rear,
2 Venetian windows on ground floor.
Listing NGR: NZ2118430197
Other nearby listed buildings