History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop Auckland, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6659 / 54°39'57"N

Longitude: -1.673 / 1°40'22"W

OS Eastings: 421186

OS Northings: 530141

OS Grid: NZ211301

Mapcode National: GBR JGRH.L5

Mapcode Global: WHC52.8ZKF

Entry Name: The Almshouses

Listing Date: 20 September 1972

Last Amended: 23 May 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196575

English Heritage Legacy ID: 385721

Location: Bishop Auckland, County Durham, DL14

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Bishop Auckland

Built-Up Area: Bishop Auckland

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Bishop Auckland

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Bishop Auckland

Listing Text


BISHOP AUCKLAND

NZ2130 MARKET PLACE
634-1/8/80 Nos.49 AND 50
20/09/72 The Almshouses
(Formerly Listed as:
MARKET PLACE
Nos.49-52 (Consecutive)
The Almshouses)

GV II

Formerly known as: Nos.16-19 KING STREET.
Shown on OS as 16-19 consecutive.
4 almshouses, now 2. Dated 1845. For Bishop Maltby, replacing
almshouses built 1662 for Bishop Cosin. Tudor style. Coursed
squared stone with ashlar quoins and dressings, and porches
with ashlar plinth; slate roof with ashlar gable copings and
chimneys.
2 storeys, one window to each original house. Gabled porches
with ashlar plinths, between each pair have boarded doors in
stone surrounds in left returns, windows inserted in doorways
on right returns, and front window under inscribed stone
plaque in gable peak. Left plaque, partly eroded, JOHN COSIN
BISHOP OF DURHAM AD 1662; right plaque ENLARGED BY EDWARD
MALTBY BISHOP OF DURHAM AD 1845. Chamfered surrounds with long
and short stones forming jambs to renewed 2-light casements
flanking porch. Roofs have flat gable copings on moulded
kneelers, with damaged finials to porches; conjoined ashlar
chimneys on stone plinths and with ashlar cornices at ends and
at centre of ridge.
INTERIOR, partly inspected, shows all features renewed late
C20.


Listing NGR: NZ2118430144

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.