This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.6494 / 54°38'57"N
Longitude: -1.6671 / 1°40'1"W
OS Eastings: 421579
OS Northings: 528301
OS Grid: NZ215283
Mapcode National: GBR JGSP.W3
Mapcode Global: WHC58.CDDK
Entry Name: East Deanery
Listing Date: 21 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196576
English Heritage Legacy ID: 385725
Location: Dene Valley, County Durham, DL14
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Dene Valley
Built-Up Area: Bishop Auckland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Bishop Auckland
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ22NW MILL LANE, South Church
634-1/5/150 (South side (off))
21/04/52 East Deanery
Prebends' college of Church of St Andrew. Later farm
buildings. Being restored at time of survey (1991). Built
shortly after 1293. Order for houses for canons by Bishop Bek.
Altered C16, C19 and C20.
MATERIALS: stone rubble with quoins and ashlar dressings;
PLAN: 3 ranges round courtyard: W range being restored at time
of survey (1991), N range rebuilt incorporating older N wall,
E range derelict. Long W range 2 storeys, 4 builds.
EXTERIOR: E elevation: first part, possibly post-medieval, has
external stone stair to renewed first-floor door. Second part
has Tudor arched door at left, with chamfered stone surround,
and C16 stone mullion windows with label moulds beside door
and at right on first floor, with panelled spandrels to
segmental heads of 3 lights. Single stone corbel at first
floor level at right end of this section.
Irregular and confused join to next section which has
irregular jambs and flat stone lintel to door to left of
centre, and at right a door with run-off chamfers, probably
originally a shouldered head but truncated. At left, at lower
part of first floor, a slit with irregular block jambs,
probably a stair light; at right on first floor a tall 2-light
mullion and transom window with trefoil heads under label
mould. Full height buttress between this and 4th part, which
has elliptical head to rebuilt door at left, and external
stone stair turning through 90 degress at right to renewed
door under thin stone lintel. Small blocked door in stair
support has pointed head. On first floor, a 2-light window at
left similar to that in previous section, and to left of first
floor door a blocked lancet.
INTERIOR: ground floor said to have barrel vault in each end
section, and stop-chamfered beams in central section. Stone
spiral stair between centre and right sections said to contain
treads from re-used medieval incised cross grave covers.
(Publications of the Surtees Society: Fraser C M: The Records
of Antony Bek (1947 vol): Durham: 1953-: 35, DOC 37;
Architectural & Archaeological Soc of Durham & Northumberland:
Ryder P F: The Medieval Cross Slab Grave Cover in County
Durham ed. Harding: Durham: 1985-: 51).
Listing NGR: NZ2157928301
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings