History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

(Left Part)

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop Auckland, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6654 / 54°39'55"N

Longitude: -1.6722 / 1°40'19"W

OS Eastings: 421240

OS Northings: 530087

OS Grid: NZ212300

Mapcode National: GBR JGRH.RC

Mapcode Global: WHC52.8ZYS

Entry Name: (Left Part)

Listing Date: 23 May 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196606

English Heritage Legacy ID: 385702

Location: Bishop Auckland, County Durham, DL14

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Bishop Auckland

Built-Up Area: Bishop Auckland

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Bishop Auckland

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Bishop Auckland

Listing Text


BISHOP AUCKLAND

NZ2130 MARKET PLACE
634-1/8/60 (South side)
No.9 (LEFT PART)

GV II

Formerly known as: No.15 MARKET PLACE.
Shown on OS map as 15.
Offices, now left part of club. Dated 1873. Thin courses of
squared stone with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings. Welsh
slate roof. Gothic Revival style.
2 storeys, 5 windows. Stone step up to panelled door and
shaped overlight recessed in stone surround; moulded
shouldered head on leaf-carved capitals of nookshafts with
stiff leaf decoration which is repeated on recess to door.
Plain sash windows, on ground floor in shouldered stone
surrounds with alternate block jambs and projecting stone
sills; on first floor with moulded surrounds and carved
brackets to moulded sills which have cast-iron Gothic rails.
Eaves gutter brackets on string. Roof has flat stone gable
coping on moulded kneelers, and transverse ridge corniced
chimneys.
Rear elevation more elaborate with central canted porch
containing door with 6 Gothic panels under pointed arch with
carved stone dated 1873. Flanking sashes on both floors, the
first with ball flower stops to floor string, and in ground
floor canted end bays, have alternate block jambs and bar
stopped chamfers. Decorative iron cresting to bay windows.
Quatrefoil over central bay, trefoils in gabled end bays with
shouldered kneelers to stone gable copings, the right with
wrought-iron finial.


Listing NGR: NZ2124030088

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.