This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5783 / 53°34'41"N
Longitude: -2.8217 / 2°49'17"W
OS Eastings: 345693
OS Northings: 409388
OS Grid: SD456093
Mapcode National: GBR 8WQ2.X0
Mapcode Global: WH86J.MBK5
Entry Name: Lathom House Chapel of St John
Listing Date: 11 August 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196644
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386295
Location: Lathom, West Lancashire, Lancashire, L40
District: West Lancashire
Civil Parish: Lathom
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Ormskirk St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD40NE HALL LANE
663-1/5/54 (East side (off))
11/08/72 Lathom House Chapel of St John
Chapel to Lathom House. Built by Thomas Lord Stanley, 2nd Earl
of Derby c.1500; altered and restored.
Red sandstone random rubble with large quoins, with scored
render to the east side, stone slate roof.
Nave and chancel in a single 3-bay vessel on a north-south
axis. The east side has a gabled porch at the north end, and 3
segmental-pointed windows with early C19 Gothick wooden
tracery and stained glass. The north gable has an octagonal
bellcote; the south gable wall has a large 5-light
Perpendicular window with a cavetto surround and C19 tracery
INTERIOR: wagon roof with early C19 rib-work; sanctuary screen
incorporating parts of a Perpendicular original believed to
have come from Burscough Priory after the Dissolution,
severely damaged during the siege of Lathom House in 1644
(some bullet holes visible) and restored (with mahogany and
pine) in 1817; oak eagle lectern also from Burscough Priory;
low doorway at north end of west wall, recently exposed; north
gallery on 2 cast-iron quatrefoil columns, with canted centre
and 1881 organ by Wilkinson of Kendal; in porch, a large oval
wooden panel carved with a coat of arms.
Forms group with Lathom House Almshouses (q.v.) attached to
Listing NGR: SD4569309388
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings