History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stone, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9017 / 52°54'6"N

Longitude: -2.1433 / 2°8'35"W

OS Eastings: 390460

OS Northings: 333814

OS Grid: SJ904338

Mapcode National: GBR 15Q.4XY

Mapcode Global: WHBDF.1BPB

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 9 March 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196733

English Heritage Legacy ID: 385977

Location: Stone, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Civil Parish: Stone

Built-Up Area: Stone (Stafford)

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Stone St Michael and St Wulfad

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Stone

Listing Text


STONE

SJ9033 CHURCH STREET, Stone
651-1/7/5 (South side)
09/03/49 Church of St Michael

GV II*

Anglican church. 1758; chancel 1887. By William Robinson of
the Board of Works, supervised by William Baker. Ashlar;
copper clad roof, tile roof to chancel. Chancel with north
vestry and south organ loft; 5-bay nave with west tower and
flanking 2-storey porches. Early Gothic Revival style, with
Perpendicular details to the chancel. Chancel has high plinth,
continuous sill course and hood mould; top cornice and coped
parapet, embattled to north and south. 6-light east window
with fleuron to hood; 2-light windows to north and south;
gabled organ loft has 2-light transomed window; vestry gabled
to east with 3-light east window over steps to basement
entrance, 2-light square-headed north window flanked by
Tudor-headed entrances, the doors with enriched hinges and
cusped lights, lateral stack to chancel. Nave has windows to 2
levels; plain plinth, platt band over lower lavel, upper level
sill course and top coved cornice and embattled parapet
continued to east gable, pinnacles to angles; windows have
Y-tracery, the lower windows with label moulds. 4-stage tower
breaks forward, pointed entrance has hollow moulding between
simple shafts with splayed bases, similar moulding to arch,
paired 3-fielded-panel doors with original handle, and glazed
timber panel above; plaque above door inscribed with date
under label mould; 2nd stage has quatrefoil window under
segmental label mould, platt band over; 3rd stage has round
clock faces in simple frames; top stage has Y-tracery louvred
bell-openings on sills with cusped aprons; top lozenge frieze,
embattled parapet and angle pinnacles with wind vanes. Porches
have pointed windows with label moulds and upper Y-tracery
windows; north and south entrances have triple-arched moulds.
INTERIOR: chancel has arch-braced collar roof with tracery;
arch to south organ loft; north vestry door and credence shelf
in recess with tracery head; chancel arch has responds with
C15 style panelling to tops; C19 nave roof has arch-braced tie
beams, raised centre and waggon boarding; side galleries on
moulded timber posts, enriched frieze and panelling; tower has
ceiling with beams and cornices. Fittings: chancel has
panelling, east wall, linenfold panelling with cusped panels
over and brattishing, reredos with traceried canopies and
brattishing; stalls with linenfold panelling, similar case to
organ, 1888, by Sir Charles Nicholson; altar rail has tracery;
C18 chancel rail has turned balusters and lozenge frieze;
Minton tiles. Nave has original high box pews with H-hinges to
doors and painted number panels; high timber pulpit by Sir
C.Nicholson with linenfold panelling on baluster and winding
stair to rear; C18 baluster font with gadrooned bowl.
Paintings: St Michael by W.Beechey RA in north gallery;
Transfiguration after Raphael over west door. Vestry has good
glazed tiles to walls and timber screens. Monuments: south
aisle east wall tablet to Thomas Unett, d.1809, and others,
Greek Revival style stele; north aisle east wall tablet to
Ellen Nicholls, d.1815, urn; west wall tablet to J.E. Leveson
Jervis, d.1885, Corinthian pilasters, apron with Jervis arms
and crest with military badge and naval trophies; John Jervis,
Earl St Vincent, d.1823, by Whitelaw, long inscription, Jervis
arms to apron, and crest with naval trophies and bust by
F.Chantrey; brass to Thomas Crompton, d.1619; tower has arched
recess with two C13 effigies from old church, a lady and a
canon. Glass: east window has 1880s stained glass; chancel
north and south windows have glass by C.E.Kempe, 1897 and
1901, other contemporary glass by Kempe in all of aisle
windows and most of gallery windows. A good example of an C18
church with many surviving fittings and an excellent
collection of Kempe glass. "A remarkably early piece of Gothic
Revival.....without any Rococo frills" (Pevsner).
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: 267-9).


Listing NGR: SJ9046033814

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.