History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crompton Tomb Approximately 52 Metres South West of Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stone, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9014 / 52°54'5"N

Longitude: -2.1444 / 2°8'39"W

OS Eastings: 390386

OS Northings: 333786

OS Grid: SJ903337

Mapcode National: GBR 15Q.4N8

Mapcode Global: WHBDF.1B4J

Entry Name: Crompton Tomb Approximately 52 Metres South West of Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 27 July 1972

Last Amended: 24 January 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196734

English Heritage Legacy ID: 385979

Location: Stone, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Civil Parish: Stone

Built-Up Area: Stone (Stafford)

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Stone St Michael and St Wulfad

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Stone

Listing Text


STONE

SJ9033 CHURCH STREET, Stone
651-1/7/8 (South side)
27/07/72 Crompton Tomb approx. 52m SW of
Church of St Michael
(Formerly Listed as:
STONE
Tomb of William Crompton in St
Michael's Churchyard)

GV II*

Tomb of William Crompton, d.1603, and his wife, d.1626.
Ashlar. Chest tomb with architraved panels to sides; Armorial
bearing to east end has draped mantle and 2 helmets with
crests; north side and west end have small shields with
scrolls above, probably armorial bearings of children; south
side has brass plaque recording other members of the Crompton
family; top has effigies of man in armour, legs missing below
the knee, and woman in dress c1600. Early C19 spear-headed
cast-iron railings with some remaining angle urns. The tomb is
on original site, in the chancel of the former Augustinian
Priory church of SS Mary and Wulfad, fd c1135, which was
demolished c1758.
(Buildings of England: N.Pevsner: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: 268).


Listing NGR: SJ9038633786

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.