History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jervis Mausoleum Approximately 5 Metres East of Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stone, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9017 / 52°54'6"N

Longitude: -2.1428 / 2°8'34"W

OS Eastings: 390488

OS Northings: 333818

OS Grid: SJ904338

Mapcode National: GBR 15Q.51J

Mapcode Global: WHBDF.1BW9

Entry Name: Jervis Mausoleum Approximately 5 Metres East of Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 27 July 1972

Last Amended: 24 January 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196736

English Heritage Legacy ID: 385982

Location: Stone, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Civil Parish: Stone

Built-Up Area: Stone (Stafford)

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Stone St Michael and St Wulfad

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Stone

Listing Text


STONE

SJ9033 CHURCH STREET, Stone
651-1/7/6 (South side)
27/07/72 Jervis Mausoleum approx. 5m E of
Church of St Michael
(Formerly Listed as:
STONE
Mausoleum of Admiral Earl St Vincent
in St Michael's Churchyard)

GV II*

Mausoleum to members of the Jervis family. Probably c1760.
Probably by William Robinson. Ashlar with lead roof.
Rectangular cell with lower flanking wings. Classical style.
South elevation has plinth, pedimented cell has entrance with
eared architrave, large key, frieze and pediment over studded
door; plaque in architrave above has worn inscription, but
later plaque with inscription to Admiral St Vincent;
rusticated wings with cornices. Rear similar, with high
roundel to cell; returns have plain niches. INTERIOR: tunnel
vault; square recesses to returns, 3 to right with inscribed
panels in architraves: Earl St Vincent, d.1823, Swynfel
Jervis, d.1771, and Elizabeth, d.1784, William Jervis, d.1813,
and Jane, d.1817; one to right and 2 to left with exposed
coffins; 2 plaques to rear wall. John Jervis, Earl St Vincent,
1735-1823, was a prominent commander and reformer in the Royal
Navy, and was created earl after commanding the British fleet
at the battle of Cape St Vincent, 1797.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: 268; Thorne J O ed.: Chambers Biographical Dictionary:
Edinburgh: 1974-: 1126).


Listing NGR: SJ9048833818

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.