This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9016 / 52°54'5"N
Longitude: -2.1503 / 2°9'1"W
OS Eastings: 389987
OS Northings: 333809
OS Grid: SJ899338
Mapcode National: GBR 15Q.35Y
Mapcode Global: WHBDD.YB6D
Entry Name: Trent Hospital (Main Block)
Listing Date: 27 July 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196739
English Heritage Legacy ID: 385990
Location: Stone, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15
Civil Parish: Stone
Built-Up Area: Stone
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Stone Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ8933 CROWN STREET, Stone
651-1/6/18 (South side (off))
27/07/72 Trent Hospital (Main block)
Workhouse, now hospital. 1792-3; 2nd storey added 1838-9, by
Boulton and Palmer of Stafford; later C19 additions. H-plan.
Georgian style. Brick with plaster and ashlar dressings; slate
M-roof, hipped to wings, with brick stacks. 2 storeys;
5-window range with 3-storey cross wings. Platt bands to wings
over 1st floor; top modillioned brick friezes and ashlar
cornices. Central entrance has plaster surround and cornice,
C20 glazed doors, sidelights and C20 glazed timber porch;
segmental-headed entrances to inner returns of wings. Windows
have sills, plaster surrounds and simple cornices, most with
4-pane horned sashes, but central 1st floor tripartite window
with plaster apron panel and small-paned iron glazing, similar
windows to wings, that to ground floor of right wing has
inserted French window, those to 1st floors have central
4-pane horned sashes; 2nd floor of wings have triple
round-headed lights with small-paned glazing. Axial stack and
return lateral stacks. Tower to right return has angle
pilasters and top frieze, paired round-headed lights, those to
top louvred. Right return has iron glazing to 2nd floor
windows; C19 2-storey wings project to front and rear. Rear is
similar; windows have segmental lintels and varied sashes and
iron glazing, central bow window with 12-pane sashes; 2-window
addition to right end.
INTERIOR altered, some exposed beams. The original design was
copied from that of the Romford Workhouse of 1787.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
Listing NGR: SJ8998733809
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings