History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crown Hotel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stone, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9022 / 52°54'7"N

Longitude: -2.1472 / 2°8'50"W

OS Eastings: 390192

OS Northings: 333868

OS Grid: SJ901338

Mapcode National: GBR 15Q.3XS

Mapcode Global: WHBDD.Z9NZ

Entry Name: Crown Hotel

Listing Date: 9 March 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196742

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386003

Location: Stone, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Civil Parish: Stone

Built-Up Area: Stone (Stafford)

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Stone St Michael and St Wulfad

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Stone

Listing Text


STONE

SJ9033 HIGH STREET, Stone
651-1/7/31 (South West side)
09/03/49 No.38
Crown Hotel

GV II*

Hotel. 1778. By Henry Holland. Brick with ashlar dressings;
brick end stacks. Double-depth plan. Georgian style. 3
storeys; symmetrical 3-window range; ends bowed. Platt band
over ground floor; top cornice. Entrance has Ionic porch with
flagpole supporting scrolled wrought-iron bracket above,
overlight and paired half-glazed doors; flanking lanterns.
Windows have sills and rubbed brick flat arches, those to
ground floor with 8:12:8-pane tripartite sashes; similar
sashes to 1st floor flank window with 12-pane sash in
round-headed recess; 2nd floor has 6-pane sashes. Right return
has 2-storey C19 rear wing which projects with bowed
re-entrant with 20-pane sash; windows mostly casements,
segmental-headed windows to 1st floor; right end has late C19
shop front with panelled pilasters and blocked entrance;
extensive C20 additions. INTERIOR has c1900 fittings: open
well stair with splat balusters, panelling and 2 timber
fireplaces. The hotel was important as a staging post for
coaches on the London-Holyhead and London-Carlisle routes and
served as a mail distribution point. A room at the hotel was
used by the Blessed Dominic Barberi for the 1st Catholic Mass
in Stone since the Reformation, 1842, the start of the
Catholic revival in Stone.
(Wilson A CP: Dominic Barberi Blessed CP: London: 1967-:
247-8; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: 269).


Listing NGR: SJ9019233868

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.