This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9027 / 52°54'9"N
Longitude: -2.1479 / 2°8'52"W
OS Eastings: 390150
OS Northings: 333924
OS Grid: SJ901339
Mapcode National: GBR 15Q.3S7
Mapcode Global: WHBDD.Z9CL
Entry Name: 50, High Street
Listing Date: 9 March 1949
Last Amended: 24 January 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196743
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386005
Location: Stone, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15
Civil Parish: Stone
Built-Up Area: Stone
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Stone Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ9033 HIGH STREET, Stone
651-1/7/33 (South West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET, Stone
Joule's Brewery Office)
Shown on OS map as Nos 50 and 52.
Office for Joule's Brewery, now offices and shop. c1780. Brick
with ashlar dressings; hipped slate roof with brick stacks.
Double-depth plan. Georgian style. 3 storeys; symmetrical
3-window range with 2-window range breaking forward to right.
Ashlar plinth and 1st and 2nd floor sill bands; top
modillioned cornice. Symmetrical range has plastered ground
floor; round-headed entrance has Tuscan porch with wrought
iron side panels, fanlight with decorative glazing bars over
6-panel door; modillioned cornice continued over flanking
bowed windows, which have sills to 8:12:8-pane tripartite
sashes. Range to right has blocked round-headed entrance to
left end and round-headed entrance to right end with doorcase
with reeded pilasters and open pediment, fanlight with
decorative glazing bars over 6-panel door (former No 52); 2
ground floor windows have sills, and rubbed brick flat arches
over 12-pane sashes. Upper floors have windows with rubbed
brick flat arches, 12-pane sashes to 1st floor, C20 casements
to 2nd floor. Rear has gabled wing and large C20 additions.
The brewery was founded in the early C18 and was taken over by
Francis Joule in 1785; it was closed in 1974. Only the C19
facade of the brewery remains to the right of former No 52.
(Thorold H: Staffordshire, A Shell Guide: London: 1978-: 162).
Listing NGR: SJ9015033924
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings