History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mansion House and Attached Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Stone, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9007 / 52°54'2"N

Longitude: -2.1426 / 2°8'33"W

OS Eastings: 390501

OS Northings: 333704

OS Grid: SJ905337

Mapcode National: GBR 15Q.542

Mapcode Global: WHBDF.1CZ3

Entry Name: The Mansion House and Attached Wall

Listing Date: 4 August 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196746

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386012

Location: Stone, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Civil Parish: Stone

Built-Up Area: Stone (Stafford)

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Stone St Michael and St Wulfad

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Stone

Listing Text


STONE

SJ9033 LICHFIELD STREET, Stone
651-1/7/38 (North side)
04/08/71 The Mansion House and attached wall

GV II

House. c1770 with early C19 alterations. Brick with ashlar
dressings; tile roof with brick end stacks. Gable facing,
front to left; central staircase plan. Georgian style. 3
storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. Top cornice and coped
gables with kneelers. Ashlar ground floor has wooden frieze
and cornice, round-headed entrance has Doric aedicule with
open pediment, fanlight with radial glazing bars over
6-fielded-panel door; flanking French windows have fluted
pilasters; upper windows have rusticated wedge lintels, those
to 1st floor over 12-pane sashes, those to 2nd floor over
6-pane sashes and with sills. Enriched cast-iron balcony over
entire facade. Right return has two 1st floor windows with
cast-iron balconies; rear wing of 3 storeys has modillioned
brick cornice; re-entrant lean-to porch; varied fenestration:
ground floor has 3 segmental-headed windows with wooden
frames; 1st floor has small light, 4-pane horned sash and end
segmental-headed casement window; 2nd floor has three 3-light
casement windows with iron opening casements and leaded
glazing, end window with small-paned glazing. End stack to
hipped end. Rear C20 entrance and light with two 4-pane sashes
to 1st floor. Left return has tall segmental-headed recess
with 1st floor window with pegged frame.
Interior: open well stair has open string, alternate
column-on-vase and barleysugar balusters, turned newels and
ramped handrail; some window shutters and 6-panel doors;
Minton mosaic tiles. The house was part of the iron works of
Rangeley and Dixon, founded c1818, later Rangeley and Diggles,
who made mileposts for the Trent and Mersey Canal; closed
down, 1829 (cf Milepost).
(Bolton J M: Canal Town Stone: Wolverhampton: 1981-: 10 AND
67).


Listing NGR: SJ9050133703

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.