This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9096 / 52°54'34"N
Longitude: -2.1376 / 2°8'15"W
OS Eastings: 390843
OS Northings: 334696
OS Grid: SJ908346
Mapcode National: GBR 15K.DF4
Mapcode Global: WHBDF.44C7
Entry Name: Coppice Mill
Listing Date: 27 July 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196747
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386014
Location: Stone, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15
Civil Parish: Stone
Built-Up Area: Stone
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Stone Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ93SW LONGTON ROAD, Stone
651-1/4/41 (North West side)
27/07/72 Coppice Mill
Paper mill, converted to flint mill, c1840, now derelict and
being restored (1990). Probably mid C18 with mid C19
alterations. Brick with some dressed squared stone; tile roof.
Single storey structure with wheel to right return.
Modillioned brick cornice. Open-fronted part to left has brick
pier, roof missing and stone end wall; part to right has
segmental-headed entrance to right of and narrowed by section
of battered wall supporting ends of 2 girders; smaller
entrance to right end. Wheel in pit to right has timber spokes
and paddles, iron hub, rims and penstock. INTERIOR: 2 heavy
spine beams, truncated, and king post truss; machinery to 2
flint crushing pans is complete, including great spur wheel, 2
horizontal gears and paddles; left end is raised, with wash
tub; deep pit to front of left end is site of settling tanks.
A good survival of an important local industry.
Listing NGR: SJ9084334696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings