History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barnards House, Brentwood School

A Grade II Listed Building in Brentwood, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6207 / 51°37'14"N

Longitude: 0.3065 / 0°18'23"E

OS Eastings: 559766

OS Northings: 193842

OS Grid: TQ597938

Mapcode National: GBR XN.HYB

Mapcode Global: VHHN3.8JCD

Entry Name: Barnards House, Brentwood School

Listing Date: 21 October 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196765

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373484

Location: Brentwood, Essex, CM15

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Town: Brentwood

Electoral Ward/Division: Brentwood South

Built-Up Area: Brentwood

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Brentwood St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Brentwood

Listing Text


BRENTWOOD

TQ5993 INGRAVE ROAD
723-1/12/84 (East side)
21/10/58 Barnards House, Brentwood School

GV II

House of second Master of Brentwood School. Early C17, early
C18. Red brick with burnt headers, Flemish bond, peg tile and
slate on roof. L-plan of 3 units.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey and attic, parapet with dentilled cornice
and coping and plain brick string course between ground and
first floor. W, front elevation, 5 bays with lean-to ground
floor addition with window at N end. All windows segment
headed, flush sashes with glazing bars, 3x4 panes. Central
front door has 4 fielded panels and rectangular fanlight with
7 oval lights. Cornice hood on console brackets. 2 dormer
windows with hipped roofs and casement windows behind parapet.
Rear E elevation. Timber-framed, rendered and ashlar lined
gable end of rear W-E wing with central C19 stack, ground
floor lean-to round stacks and N side with small casement
window. 2 attic windows, one with single, and one with double
casement lights - casements with glazing bars, 2x2 panes. To S
roof continued down over C20 brick lean-to. Ground floor
double casement window with glazing bars, 4x2 panes. First
floor, sash window. Behind, to N, rear of front range with N
lean-to having C19 door with 2 central glazed lights and
surrounding narrow side lights. Rectangular fanlight above. N
elevation, principal brick range to W with burnt headers, 2
first-floor windows are blocked, one 2-light window with upper
transom. Timber-framed range to E, rendered and ashlar lined,
ground floor, triple casement window with glazing bars, 6x3
panes, plain C20 door with simple hood. First floor, 2 sash
windows with glazing bars, 3x4 panes, simple hoods, another
similar at lower level at W end. Dormer window with hipped
roof, 2 casement lights with glazing bars, 4x3 panes. S end
elevation, principal brick block to W with central stacks,
blocked first-floor window to E of stack. C20 lean-to
addition, rendered brickwork, first floor weatherboarded,
slate roof. Ground floor, 2-light casement window and simple
boarded door.
INTERIOR: rear timber-framed wing has axial ceiling joists on
ground and first floors, both with distinctive early C17
lamb's tongue chamfer stops with additional decorative V cut,
also timber-framing using primary bracing exposed. Principal
range although now of brick, has early C17 timber-framed core.
Principal roof trusses are sling braced (the sling braces
necessarily terminate on storey posts) such bracing frees the
attic of tie-beams, allowing free movement throughout. There
is an early timber stair and the hall area has early C19
panelling. Ground floor rooms have internal shutters and one
fireplace has roundel decoration on the architrave.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was acquired by Brentwood School
before the 1939-45 War. Barnards House was formerly called The
Hollies, and then Newnum House before being given the present
name, commemorating Daniel Barnard, schoolmaster, 1655-95.
Barnards House, School House (qv) and Old School (qv), all of
Brentwood School form a group.
(Lewis RR: The History of Brentwood School: 1981-: 249).


Listing NGR: TQ5976693842

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.