This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0543 / 52°3'15"N
Longitude: -2.716 / 2°42'57"W
OS Eastings: 350999
OS Northings: 239790
OS Grid: SO509397
Mapcode National: GBR FL.DLX9
Mapcode Global: VH85N.WM0J
Entry Name: Cathedral Church of St Mary and St Ethelbert
Listing Date: 10 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196808
English Heritage Legacy ID: 372287
Location: Hereford, County of Herefordshire, HR1
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Hereford
Built-Up Area: Hereford
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
SO5139NW CATHEDRAL CLOSE
683-1/7/110 Cathedral Church of St Mary and St
Cathedral. C11 to C15, restored and altered by Wyatt,
Cottingham, Sir Gilbert Scott and Oldried Scott. Ashlar
sandstone; lead roofs.
EXTERIOR: north and south aisles and transepts; north-east and
south-east transepts; Lady Chapel and crypt; north porch;
crossing tower; C15 Bishops Cloisters (east and west walks
INTERIOR: notable for stained glass in Lady Chapel, north-east
and north transepts, and south aisle. Norman font with arcaded
figures. Choir stalls, misericordes and other woodwork.
Chained library houses the largest such collection in England
with some 2000 volumes; 5 oak book-cases, c1600; extremely
fine and elaborate choir stalls and bishop's throne of 1375.
MONUMENTS: outstanding are those of Bishop Aquablanca, 1268,
and St Thomas of Cantilupe. Other memorials include: Johanna
de Bohun, 1327; Peter de Grandison, 1352; Richard de la Barr,
1386; Andrew Jones, 1497, & wife; Swinefields, C14; Richard
Rudhall, 1476; Bishop Coke, 1646; Bishop Bennet, 1617; Bishop
Meyew, 1516; Bishop Trelleck, 1360; Dean Frowsetoure, 1529;
Richard de la Mare, 1435; Bishop Charlton, 1343.
Much good C19 work.
(Marshall G: Hereford Cathedral: 1951-; RCHME; Duncumb J:
History of the County of Hereford: 1804-: 520-590; Brittan J:
The Cathedral Church of Hereford: 1836-).
Listing NGR: SO5101839784
Other nearby listed buildings