This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0562 / 52°3'22"N
Longitude: -2.7151 / 2°42'54"W
OS Eastings: 351066
OS Northings: 239998
OS Grid: SO510399
Mapcode National: GBR FL.DM4L
Mapcode Global: VH85N.WLH2
Entry Name: Booth Hall Hotel
Listing Date: 10 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 372334
Location: Hereford, County of Herefordshire, HR1
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Hereford
Built-Up Area: Hereford
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: St Peter with St Owen and St James, Hereford
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO5139NW EAST STREET
683-1/7/155 (North side)
10/06/52 Booth Hall Hotel
Hotel. C18 and C19, with C15 wing, much altered, to north.
MATERIALS: painted brick; hipped composite tile roof; 2 brick
ridge stacks; brick stack to front.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellar; 5-window range: C20, 6/6 and
1, 8/8, sashes, under segmental arches; parapet. Entrance to
centre right: late C19, 2-leaf 4-panel door, and lattice
glazed overlight, in moulded architrave under moulded hood on
scrolled consoles; C20, 8/8 sash, to right; two C20, 6/6
sashes and part-glazed door, to left; segmental arches;
storeyband. Left returned side: 2 early C20, 6/6 sashes to 1st
and 2nd floors; similar sash and blocked opening, to ground
floor; all under segmental arches; returned storeyband. Wing
to right: timber-frame and plaster; plain tile roof; C20 stack
INTERIOR: 1st floor hall: ceiling has cusped quatrefoil
windbraces; C15 hammerbeam roof with carved spandrels and
figureheads; pierced and moulded screen. Victorian Gothic
screens, balcony, doors, panelling, fireplace with overmantel,
leaded lights and staircase.
HISTORY: The hall is thought to have been built between 1380
and 1400 and is said to be mentioned in a deed of 1392. In
1392 the building was acquired by the City by licence from the
King because they had no place in which the Sessions of the
Justices of Assize or of the Peace or the Pleas of the City
might be held. It seems to have been used by the Mercers
Company for their Guild Room from C16 until at least 1756. The
basement was used as a freemen's prison. The building finally
became an inn at the end of C18 or beginning of C19, and the
Great Room was lost sight of in later alterations until the
collapse of a chimney in 1919 revealed the presence of the
carved roof. A former landlord is mentioned in Borrow's
(Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club: 1981-:
165-170; Proceedings of the Woolhope Club: 1919-1921; RCHME).
Listing NGR: SO5106639998
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings