History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Sack Warehouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Hereford, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.052 / 52°3'7"N

Longitude: -2.7183 / 2°43'5"W

OS Eastings: 350839

OS Northings: 239530

OS Grid: SO508395

Mapcode National: GBR FL.DSD7

Mapcode Global: VH85N.TPSB

Entry Name: Old Sack Warehouse

Listing Date: 22 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196901

English Heritage Legacy ID: 372536

Location: Hereford, County of Herefordshire, HR2

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Hereford

Built-Up Area: Hereford

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Hereford St Martin with St Francis

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Hereford

Listing Text


HEREFORD

SO5039NE WYE STREET
683-1/2/352 (North side)
23/12/83 Old Sack Warehouse

GV II

Also known as: Moore's Warehouse WYE STREET.
Warehouse. C18 front to C16 core. Brick; hipped Welsh slate
roof to south pitch; pantiles to north; corrugated-iron and
pantiles to west range. The surviving half of a U-shaped
complex facing the Wye River, and recorded in Taylor's plan of
Hereford, 1757. C16 part consists of a large square-panelled
frame, with queen-strut and king-post trusses. C18 part is the
external wall of English bond brickwork on sandstone plinth;
modillion eaves cornice; band; openings under segmental
arches; oval window in north gable. INTERIOR: initials FJ & WJ
carved in serifed C18 figures on beam (sometimes interpreted
as Francis James, bricklayer, fl.1732, and William Jones,
carpenter, fl.1754). Mutilated C17 roof; wattle-and-daub
infill; chamfered ceiling joists; C17 box framing. Probably a
dyer's "blewhouse" until 1695 Wye Navigation Act; then coal
warehouse; used by Pomona Cider company in late C19. In
ruinous and dangerous condition.


Listing NGR: SO5083939530

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.