This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8793 / 54°52'45"N
Longitude: -2.9367 / 2°56'12"W
OS Eastings: 339999
OS Northings: 554235
OS Grid: NY399542
Mapcode National: GBR 7DY0.0Q
Mapcode Global: WH802.VMRB
Entry Name: Currock House Community Centre
Listing Date: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196923
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386779
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA2
Electoral Ward/Division: Currock
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Herbert
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3854 LEDIARD AVENUE
671-1/15/190 (South side)
Currock House Community Centre
House now community centre. Early C19. Calciferous sandstone
ashlar on chamfered plinth, with string course, cornice and
solid parapet. Hipped graduated greenslate roof; ashlar ridge
2 storeys, symmetrical 3 bays with 2-bay returns and rear
lower 2-storey, 2-bay domestic range, double-depth,
central-stair plan. Central panelled door and patterned
overlight in enclosed pilastered porch. Sash windows with
glazing bars in plain stone reveals and recessed aprons, the
side window bays projecting slightly. Right return has canted
ashlar bay windows; upper floor windows same as facade.
Lean-to outbuildings on the left return and rear 1937
INTERIOR has rounded stair arch with incised Greek-key design
and panelled sofit. Stone staircase has patterned cast-iron
balusters and moulded wooden handrail; large round-headed
stair window. Replacement doors in moulded wooden architraves;
panelled shutters, but in some rooms these are probably only
panelled reveals. Principal rooms have marble fireplaces with
cast-iron insets and grates; moulded plaster cornices to
HISTORY: A house on this site called "Cuddick" (the old name
for Currock) is shown on Greenwoods Map of Cumberland, 1823.
The Carlisle Journal (1934), suggests a "late Georgian" date
and Robert Cowen of "Currick" is listed in Pigot & Co's 1828-9
Directory, but the Cumberland News (1984) gives 1842 as its
building date; however, it would appear that the property
called "Currick" on the 1841 census is this house, occupied by
William Carruthers and his wife Sarah. Estate was purchased by
the City Council for new housing in 1932 and stables partially
demolished to provide stone for the extension of Eden Bridge.
In 1934 it became a community centre and for a short period
was the YHA hostel for Carlisle.
(Carlisle Journal: 5 October 1934; Pigot and Co.: Directory:
1828-1829; Cumberland News: 28 September 1984).
Listing NGR: NY3999954235
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings